Planting a new copse (NL), looking for resources

Hi all,

New here, sorry if im starting a topic that allready has loads of threads on, but i could not find them myself.

So we are planting a copse here in the netherlands, in one of the outer zones on our farm, and were looking for resources on how to plan the different plots.

Coppicing was as much a tradition in the netherlands as it was in the UK, but unlike the UK no reall copses have survived, and the art, tradition and knowledge is completely lost.

Now when nature conservation and forestry organisations 'do coppice', it basically comes down to cutting down an existing woodland (while destroying the soil with large machinery used for logging) and hoping the natural growth will restore itself quickly from the left stumps.

As i learned differently on a sustainable land use course 10 years ago, i am now looking for resources how to plant a proper copse, aimed for production of woody materials for use on the farm. (poles, sticks, binders, etc). So im looking for a practical comprehensive book helping on planning it out.

What size should every block / coup / cut be for optimal sun infiltration and regrowth after a cut..?

What distances to you initially plant out the different species, which for chestnut, which for hazel, alder and ash?
Anything else to keep in mind?

Ive ready some mentions here that fencing is prefered over tubes, why?

Most resources I can find focus on techniques for managing existing woodland, but i find much less info for when you want to plant out a woodland from the start..

Is there a or more books y'all can recommend?

thanks!

In the UK we have a government organisation call the Forestry Commission that has produced various leaflets, books and PDFs. Unfortunately it's been restructured and many of the links I've got don't work any more and I find it much harder to find stuff. The research arm are now called Forest Research.

This book might help, I've not seen a copy but thought I saw a PDF ages ago: https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/research/the-silviculture-and-management-of-coppice-woodlands/

A different view might be Ben Law's "A Woodland Way", there's a couple of chapters about planning and planting in there but far more on making use of woodland products.

Many coppice FC pdfs etc are still free online: Iv'e found many interesting ones but forgotten all the links

Heres a few good links from googling:

Spacing to get the best hazel:

A GUIDE TO HAZEL COPPICE ASSESSMENT By Jonathan Howe The following notes are meant as a beginners guide to...

Coppicing infos:

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/documents/7826/FCLF083_1984.pdf

More on hazel:

https://ptes.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Restoration-of-neglected-hazel-coppice.pdf

How many hectares and what soil type?

You will want to plan out coupes dependent on cutting rotations species etc......

Also copse means small wood & isn't really a coppice related term though a copse may be a coppiced....

Also if you are on  facebook theres is a coppice group:

National Coppice Federation Discussion Group

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1