Husqvarna 555 not idling

Dara

I hate to be a cynic but I do not think a card kit is going to sort this, the piston face may look ok but you cannot see the sides or if the ring is worn, or stuck in with carbon, did you try the the fas idle trick that was suggested? removing 5he carb is easy enough, but a bit fiddly to re fit if you have not done one before, just make sure the spring on the stop lever sits under the choke shaft of the carb.

I have seen plenty of pistons not look seized but often the piston loses diameter, the ring end gap is over 15 thou and it all means low compression. Have you compared this saw to a working 550/555/560/562 or similar?

Very difficult to tell what the compression is like without pulling it over. I have seen fine wood chip in gauze strainers, bagged out metering diaphragms and perforated pump diaphragm flaps on these carbs but difficult to tell without seeing the saw.

Have you cleaned the air filter? Is it one of those orange ones? They often look clean but their open mesh areas can often get blocked and it is like running a saw with the choke partially on - the saw runs rich and as you stop cutting the engine loads up with fuel and it dies. Worth checking.

• Like 1

I have a husqvana 50 and the 555 has way loads more compression when starting it, saw has a yellow air filter and saw gets cleaned with the airline after use filter gets cleaned from inside out with air, weather permitting on Saturday will try it on fast idle for a few minutes cut some wood and see how it goes checked on line and L&S Engineers sell a carb kit and will order air filter form them instead of the eBay special, thanks everyone for the help and advice 

• Like 1

I've just had a 540T with similar problem, cleaned out and still bogging and after watching some Youtubes I let it tick over for 3 minutes then ran it in some wood for similar till the revs shot up and it is cutting again.

Well after reading some comments on this site about fuel mix and types of oil I thought I’d try some petrol from a different shop and I bought a litre of fully synthetic 2 stroke mixed and tried it in the saw today and still the same problem so will try a carb kit over Easter holidays