reversing chain bar..

john87

1 minute ago, AHPP said:

You get it. Let the saw sing and feed itself. Depth gauges very important for that. The biggest difference most people can make to their sharpening.

Ah, yes, first time i sharpened a chain, all went well, flew through the sycamore i was cutting up. I sharpened it again, and i filed down the depth gauges using the jig thing you get in the sharpening kit. Result was terrible.. Chain was sharp ok and cut very fast, but very grabby... Bought a new chain..

Now, i mark one tooth with a marker pen, [so i do not get lost!] and give them all the same number of strokes with the file. As for the depth gauges, forget the jig thing, just a smidgeon off them every 3 sharpenings and all seems fine.

Best guide seems to be; Does the thing more or less feed itself, AND look at the chips.. If they are more like flakes than saw dust, then all is well [i hope!!!!]

john..

14 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Well done. You’re cutting better than 80% of tree surgeons.

The way i see it is, a saw is a lot of money, and, the harder you use it, the quicker it will wear out, so why make life difficult for the poor saw!! Be like driving your car round with flat tyres and wondering why the tyres do not last long and you use a lot of petrol!!

Besides, who want to be up a tree with a saw that has not been properly maintained, not me!!! [bad enough just being up a tree!!]

john..

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

The way i see it is, a saw is a lot of money, and, the harder you use it, the quicker it will wear out, so why make life difficult for the poor saw!! Be like driving your car round with flat tyres and wondering why the tyres do not last long and you use a lot of petrol!!

Besides, who want to be up a tree with a saw that has not been properly maintained, not me!!! [bad enough just being up a tree!!]

john..

I used to only take small saws to climbing jobs and rely on those hiring me to provide big saws. I was up a pine in Liverpool and called for a 660. I'd used it several weeks before. It was a bad starter and bad runner then and I'd remarked on it. It came up running, cut out when I blipped the throttle and wouldn't restart. I was getting annoyed. I adjusted my position to get a really hard pull on the cord, pulled really hard on the cord and full-force twatted my elbow on a stub. I properly saw red. Honestly some of the the most intense rage I can remember. Bought two big (ish) saws on the way home. Never looked back. People are now hiring me because they know I come with reliable, big saws, sharp chains, and spare chains.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I used to only take small saws to climbing jobs and rely on those hiring me to provide big saws. I was up a pine in Liverpool and called for a 660. I'd used it several weeks before. It was a bad starter and bad runner then and I'd remarked on it. It came up running, cut out when I blipped the throttle and wouldn't restart. I was getting annoyed. I adjusted my position to get a really hard pull on the cord, pulled really hard on the cord and full-force twatted my elbow on a stub. I properly saw red. Honestly some of the the most intense rage I can remember. Bought two big (ish) saws on the way home. Never looked back. People are now hiring me because they know I come with reliable, big saws, sharp chains, and spare chains.

Hope you put a bit on your rate accordingly . 🙂

52 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Hope you put a bit on your rate accordingly . 🙂

Probably. It was one of the relatively pivotal moments of deciding to offer a proper service rather than be just another worker. Comms sets was another. Buying my spikes from you in my early days was even a reasonable commitment at the time.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1