Buying Timber

brownie1964

Hi

I have been to look at a Beach today that needs to be removed. I knew that this sort of timber can be of value but not sure who buys it and at what sort of cost I should be looking at to sell it. I know that some cabinet makers are after this sort of timber also.

The tree measures 2620mm (8ft 7") in diameter and has a clear stem of 7m., the tree stands approx 20m in height. Can anyone give me any ideas on how much to ask and if they know of anyone in the north that buys..

Cheers

I have sold timber to mills over the years but to be honest you're going to struggle with a single bit of beech however good it is. We took down 90 tons of hardwoods on one site last year, only 6 ton was worth selling, if you can get a 20 ton lorry load together then you may find a buyer, and it can be worthdoing. The six ton in question made £800 and they collected it. However beech is worth very little so i'd log it. If you are in the north and have good logs in the future AJ Scott will collect a full load. I have also had sucess selling single logs if they are at roadside and you're prepared to wait untill the lorry is passing but this can piss your client off.

You could always buy a chainsaw mill.

These guys did some extraction and tidy up for an estate I work for, took / sold lime, oak, sycamore, beech and ash. Some for timber some for "chockwood". In response to question, chockwood is pit props, and bases for big things being bulit (ships etc), apparently wood is better underground cos it creaks and cracks before going, they found metal ones just went bang and rusted!.

R & M Lowther

105 Hurley Road Little Corby, Carlisle, Cumbria CA4 8QY

p: 01228 561836

Don't know if they'll go as far south as you, but worth a ring, and Raymond will be happy to advise you as to saleability of your beech.

:icon14:

Thanks guys, I know a chap that does a bit of cabinet making so i'll give him a bell. It seems a shame to just log it up, im into recycling and who knows in two hundred years someone might be looking at a fine beach cabinet where the wood came from me.. Lol.. I will have to stop watching antiques roadshow...

I often have the same dilema, I have a lump of walnut which I don't want to log..

I have a chainsaw mill but still haven't found a market for the stuff I've milled. I've some nice burred oak which has been sitting around for the last couple of years waiting for a buyer or a use..

http://www.canopytrees.co.uk/sawmill.htm

12032008.jpg.91d30667380afbda4ffcc75362e34001.jpg