Arb-Mycota what do you want from books?

A bargain at that price, I will put my name down for one (think you could charge more for it though)

The pdf idea is a good one, still charge a little Tony as im sure its going to cost you for the program.

BTW love your photos on the ATF website!:thumbup:

there would be little point in charging on the pdf, like most things it will be bought by 1 or two and then copied to all mates and be free anyways to 99%

thanks for the comment:001_cool:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there would be little point in charging on the pdf, like most things it will be bought by 1 or two and then copied to all mates and be free anyways to 99%

thanks for the comment:001_cool:

You should make a few quid for your efforts. If the A4 format does that then that's probably the best option. No reason why it needs to be shiny and bound. The same info will be on an A4 page as a hardback bound book.

Alternatively, have you thought about looking for sponsorship? Sure there must be a few arb related companies that would want there logo and aknowledgement somewhere on this manual.

Edited by scottythepinetree

You should make a few quid for your efforts. If the A4 format does that then that's probably the best option. No reason why it needs to be shiny and bound. The same info will be on an A4 page as a hardback bound book.

Alternatively, have you thought about looking for sponsorship? Sure there must be a few arb related companies that would want there logo and aknowledgement somewhere on this manual.

thats a flipping good idea, sorbus for one, but in these economic times?

Hama, I've not read all the thread but I learn from pictures. I prefer 'real' pictures not choreographed. Fungi in their natural habitat on the host. A description of host, significance and consequence would be beneficial (along the lines of the fungi diary). Your description of the typical buttress flaring of an Oak under stress from I. Dryadius is a prime example of learning from pictures......:thumbup1:

I'll add my name to the list of people buying your signed 1st edition please!

Hama, I've not read all the thread but I learn from pictures. I prefer 'real' pictures not choreographed. Fungi in their natural habitat on the host. A description of host, significance and consequence would be beneficial (along the lines of the fungi diary). Your description of the typical buttress flaring of an Oak under stress from I. Dryadius is a prime example of learning from pictures......:thumbup1:

I'll add my name to the list of people buying your signed 1st edition please!

:blushing:

I am feelin it guys for sure, i will work something out that at least covers a trinocular scope for the next volumes.:001_cool:

• 8 months later...

The truth

The main purpose of this book is to increase the understanding of the tree as an eco system in its own right, and to promote a more naturally inclusive approach to arboriculture. In order to achieve this it is essential to appreciate the complexity of the tree and its ecology both as a free standing tree and in its role within its habitat, the contextual ground in which it is both influenced and influences. This deep understanding is needed for we are becoming “estranged” from our habitat, from the very nature of our eco system. It would seem almost as though trees have become an inconvenience to our busy little lives and now trees appear relegated to positions of almost abstract art plonked into ever decreasing frames within the urban sprawl as if to give us some sense that we are living in harmony with nature. This is of course a ridiculous and very false illusion we appease ourselves with, the reality is that we do not sympathise nor include trees in a natural way at all, but keep them in pots that we do not water or place in favourable positions.

Many of you at this point will be crying out “but what of our great parks and green spaces?” I am sorry to say that there too we are under a false illusion. The Parks we all flock to are not the green oasis we think, they are more akin to organic concrete as our cities populations stomp around in their millions annually. We crush and compact their roots, and allow our Friday/Saturday night shenanigans’ to flow onto their root systems and then allow our pets to add to the burden of toxic waste from our overbearing presence.

Not a pretty picture is it, no i am afraid to say we are all responsible for the abuse that trees endure at our hands, and the abuse is not limited to our towns and cities either. In order to feed the vast metropolis huge swathes of land are deforested to make way for cereal crops. “but what of the trees in the hedgerows and fields?” they cry. Again even there we force trees to live in our toxic presence, plowing over their root systems and spraying nitrogen everywhere to feed the crops which kills off the beneficial mycorrhizea that protect and serve the trees needs.

It doesn’t stop there either, not only do we force trees to grow in the most appalling conditions even when they do actually manage to survive the fall out and achieve some growth we butcher them for having the ordasity to love sunlight and take that which we feel belongs to us! then hold the biggest of grudges when we have to clean up their once a year annual dump! Do we love our trees?

The truth......

Do we love our trees?

Some of us (an ever increasing army I believe) actualy do.

From where I sit and interact, it's coming from both within the industry & also more crucially, within the local neighbourhoods around the trees that I see the appreciation going on.

Not often enough (but noted none the less) I've seen house owners go out & water the newly planted stick in front of their house.

Those that manage trees both urban & rural just need to interact more with the public, this is where the focus should be.

Because the one gift we can leave as a legacy is 'our passion'

Maybe a book aimed at & for joe public, is perhaps of wider significance.

A fine and fluid representation & engagingly witten piece Tony.

Some of us (an ever increasing army I believe) actualy do.

From where I sit and interact, it's coming from both within the industry & also more crucially, within the local neighbourhoods around the trees that I see the appreciation going on.

Not often enough (but noted none the less) I've seen house owners go out & water the newly planted stick in front of their house.

Those that manage trees both urban & rural just need to interact more with the public, this is where the focus should be.

Because the one gift we can leave as a legacy is 'our passion'

Maybe a book aimed at & for joe public, is perhaps of wider significance.

A fine and fluid representation & engagingly witten piece Tony.

You read well, This one is going to be for everyone, for a better informed public will force a great progression by market driven demands.

Our industry will move too slowly, it is the free market choice that will drive the changes in our approaches.:thumbup1:

I will try to ensure that they DEMAND better methods.