Hamadryads fungus diary

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a bit of a baron one, with few finds but these examples of Exidia's got me a little excited!:biggrin:

Exidia glandulosa

P1010926.jpg.97b9d23ee0e97e048b674abea5ef256b.jpg

Exidia truncata

P1010966.jpg.a3beb889849be7a323d1ddd2d82ff73f.jpg

Ganoderma australe in soft rot mode

P1010967.jpg.6e31b13c384c1d6e8428290dfb981f9d.jpg

A nice example of a Merripilus adaption to rootplate on beech

P1010972.jpg.f64488da2d99e5d042c88015f41a7e40.jpg

Lastlt, newly formed imperfect (asexual) stage of Ustulina duesta acting saprohyticly on a fallen beech. This fungus I believe to be the leading cause of the burnt appearance of many fallen beech trunks. it is i believe a psuedosclerotial plate encompassing the whole wood volume, and sealing it off to further colonisation.

P1010907.jpg.64d24b33dab9b2a55212a8baf0ec9ab2.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Phellinus tuberculosis-

597655cddedaa_phelinus196.jpg.b70b47a31822121111cdfa591a5fdc73.jpg

Not a great deal of info avaliable on this one as far as i can tell so far but it appears to me IME to be potentialy a pathogen on Rosaceacous trees particulary prunus pissardii and wild plum also as in this example.

It seems to affect the ripe or heartwood but all the trees I Have seen with this Fungus have been in severe decline and i am certain it is this Phellinus Var that is at work in these cases, rather than just degrading a failing host and acting saprophyticaly.

It is very common from north London to the Chilterns areas.

" all the trees I Have seen with this Fungus have been in severe decline.."

I am not sure that severe decline is right...although I havent a great deal of experience of this pathogen personally.

It has been hosted by my pissardii for at least 7 years that I know of. Sure, the plant throws up plenty of "watershoots" and is clearly stressed. It continues from year to year and you need to look closely to desseminate a decline year on year after I prune out the "eppi"...

Ah well, these observations are what make it all the more interesting .

Edit..Great thread BTW.....

Scarlet elf cup mushroom sarcoscypha coccineaOh goody goody!:thumbup:

P1020079.jpg.3801d8af81a2d5577fe5d9dcbb4a9f12.jpg

A saprobe of twigs and logs in contact with the ground.

I have waited a long, long time for this one, and to say this made my day is an understatement, especialy considering I was at an Event hosted by Alan Rayner today in Gloucstershire, and what a though provoking day it was!

This is a perfect specimen, i couldnt ask for more, just stunning.

P1020072.jpg.7371fe1305dbbbfa4701428fca543fdd.jpg

P1020073.jpg.fd9faacaf6108f65f36151e4841c3ec2.jpg

" all the trees I Have seen with this Fungus have been in severe decline.."

I am not sure that severe decline is right...although I havent a great deal of experience of this pathogen personally.

It has been hosted by my pissardii for at least 7 years that I know of. Sure, the plant throws up plenty of "watershoots" and is clearly stressed. It continues from year to year and you need to look closely to desseminate a decline year on year after I prune out the "eppi"...

Ah well, these observations are what make it all the more interesting .

Edit..Great thread BTW.....

We have to consider strength of pathogenicity when we look at these relationships. It is all dependant on how well a fungus can deal with and circumnavigate the CODIT barriers, particulary the rays which form a complex maze like structure to colonising mycelium. It can take decades to over run a host in some relationships even longer.

Aka - Phellinus pomaceus (Jordans, Keizer)

Quite often hosting on Orchard species & Street Cherries a fair bit here in North London, as you say.

Parasitic, and causes white rot, acording to literature.

Though your picture suggests brown?

Nice shot set-up Tony

This rot is what i find within trees infected by this Phellinus Sp, but until I can prove it with scopes and isolation of wood samples in agar growth mediums i cant say 100% scientificaly!

Ive been blown out for the loan to by the equipment so going to be longer in the pipline than i had hoped!

i like the set up photographicaly too, im going to use this in future on all the fell situations with fungi where we can disect the branch longtitudinaly:thumbup:

It seems to affect the ripe or heartwood but all the trees I Have seen with this Fungus have been in severe decline and i am certain it is this Phellinus Var that is at work in these cases, rather than just degrading a failing host and acting saprophyticaly.

Its probably a 'chicken or egg' situation but I've seen quite a bit of this locally in Suffolk over the last year or so. The trees have usually been in decline, but there have usually been other factors that would affect the trees' physiology such as evidence of root damage / poor rooting environment or suppression / shading or old age.

Good thread, thanks BTW.