Hamadryads fungus diary

We also found a few others and my first find/recorded incedent of Ustulina duesta on Acer psuedoplatanus, I was aware it infected Acer platanoides, but have never personaly seen it on Sycamore before.

They just never cease to amaze and keep it interesting, don't they.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/5853-ustulina-nasty-little-blighter.html

Post 9

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that thread you linked, great thread! And your right, just when you think you have these little critters sorted, they do something you didnt expect!

This forum is great, it is making it possible to observe more instances and querks of certain fungi than I can make alone, its like having fifty more sets of eyes out there looking as well as my own.

If I ever get round to putting all these observations on paper I will certainly have to pay due credit to the collective experiances of the Arbtalkers!

Well at last, today we got to a place worthy of some photography, 16 acres of vet Beech and Oak, awsome. The best bit however was finding this little Fungus, funny as I said the other day I've only seen it once, then bingo todays sample is just awsome!

Auricularia mesenterica

P1000547.jpg.a283c9e8ec7bd711f4bbd2910a5f22e7.jpg

A saprobe, not one most will know or would be able to evaluate easily as even Jordans book doesnt have a good pictorial representation of this one.

Youll find this one on a variety of broadleaved trees, feasting on the dead or dysfunctional sap wood.

P1000532.jpg.9b18a77c53330776380d34307fac1b62.jpg

Its upper surface is zoned similar to Trametes sp, and slightly pubescent (hairy) the basiocarps (fruit bodies) are thick and gelatinous or slightly rubbery. when dessicated they appear as a crust similar to stereum sp, with new fruit bodies pushing through each winter.

Is sometimes confused with Bjerkandera adusta the smokey bracket as it has a similar bracketed crustose look to its form especialy when dessicated

Another from today, Peniophora quercina

P1000493.jpg.eaf6934963ad8a7c52b38d208ac86e38.jpg

Youll find this one Tremella mesenterica often in association with Peniophora species as this is a parasite on this crust fungi genus. There is a similar species that is parasitic on Stereum hirsutum named Tremella aurantia.

5976556d5e633_ralphs015.jpg.fa724b8e9411f163ca81e61ddea326ea.jpg

Finaly i just had to include this image of Pluerotus ostreatus, fruiting on a dead stump of fagus showing one of the best torsional fractures ive ever seen, splendid stuff!

P1000524.jpg.768200bef03fd63d46f57b4d7365de1e.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• 3 weeks later...

Ganoderma pfiefferi

things are a little warmer down here in the south east so finding a few here and there again

59765592203f9_newtrees17th22010104.jpg.626b2666bd32ad18417b6465a7ceed42.jpg

Ganoderma lucidum

P1000875.jpg.2ac5305e988a22c62ca999aa9aa5181f.jpg

tramettes vesicolour

P1000981.jpg.c43827bb71ceb1ca957041ab8659b55d.jpg

Stereum hirsutum & Tremella foliacea

Old fruit bodies of Pholiota squarosus

P1010009.jpg.a44f79a83a22971733575740ce37b69f.jpg

P1070946.jpg.c8b5a7fdbf566bec7b24575862de60fa.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I found some Ustulina duesta on Fagus today, only including as I have also got the juvenile fruit bodies which others may not have seen yet, this was a first for me also.:thumbup1:

As can be seen, the infection is directly connected to root damge. We really must encourage our clients to take care around the root plates of thier trees, they just dont know. Mulching under trees like beeches is a great way of reducing root damge, from mowers especialy, the key sites for meripilus and Ustulina, as well as Ganodermas.:sneaky2:

P1010410.jpg.ae94d7d619c0ddf8e6b1cdf221d2c206.jpg

Just a routine spring trim of hedges, but i did the better of the beeches in my reduction thread there last year and never can resist a look about at lunchtimes for additional archival shots!

im getting a bit fed up with wasting my time pruning though! should be out surveying and assesing