Hamadryads fungus diary

David, it really depends on what you want overall doesnt it?

has this camera got to be an all singing all dancing family/holiday/work camera? if so, go with the compacts, look at my images! a good compacts well adequate and portable, mine is attached to the harness and I hardly notice.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally, one for every occassion, but that's not a reality at this time.

I will opt for a decent compact for now.

Will tick most of the boxes.

Thanks for the very kind offer. I'll let you know :thumbup1:

had a chance to get the digi slide up an running yet?

No worries if not, not in hurry for it back.

Ideally, one for every occassion, but that's not a reality at this time.

I will opt for a decent compact for now.

Will tick most of the boxes.

Thanks for the very kind offer. I'll let you know :thumbup1:

had a chance to get the digi slide up an running yet?

No worries if not, not in hurry for it back.

I havent had a chance to do any slides yet, but will do some this weekend especialy that fasciated foxglove I promised all!

If your going to opt for an slr at a later date consider the size of the sensor, which in MOST slrs is aps sized and moving up to a true 35mm film sized sensor is a tenfold increas in quality. The canon D5 is my weapon of choice, and cheapest full sized sensor in the canon stable.

When I get my hands on one I will put some pictures up here that will blow your mind, ive got auto belows and a macro lense! I can then do a photo of an ants hairy knee caps at full frame!

hi.... do not mean to butt in but I have just purchased a Canon G10 compact camera. I am really pleased with it and as compacts go it one of the best all rounder with a good scope for macro work. I think the G10 is not the best in low light levels but the G11 if you want to spend more is more set up for this. Check out the attached reduced quaility pictures, what do you think??

IMG_0339-Optimized-1.JPG.362c798cd877c0da1da75fc395283e39.JPG

IMG_0229-Optimized.JPG.4eb3d970d6bd1b88e4447e311570a50a.JPG

IMG_0166-Optimized.JPG.9f031720c731bb91bc3dfc7c4c6947e1.JPG

IMG_0161-Optimized.JPG.4f771a012ac7fb0a9f770e3668b91274.JPG

hi.... do not mean to butt in but I have just purchased a Canon G10 compact camera. I am really pleased with it and as compacts go it one of the best all rounder with a good scope for macro work. I think the G10 is not the best in low light levels but the G11 if you want to spend more is more set up for this. Check out the attached reduced quaility pictures, what do you think??

Steve get yourself signed up to an image library with your stock shots!

Your a mental good photographer and i aint just saying it, those are pro quality images in every regard.

I am impressed with this camera of yours and that padlock image is not only well shot but pin sharp, i know you said before but what did you get that camera for? pricewise?

Youre welcome to butt in anytime mate.

lastly, light capability although ISO dependant can be got round with a faster lens too, though youll lose some depth of field, so poor for landscapes.

hey this must be my day…. not only do I get a few compliments on my tree surgery but also on my photos….many thanks!

Ok G10 are still kicking around for around £350-400. G11 are about £100 more. My take on it is that for the sort of pictures we will be taking up or around trees in good light etc then the G10 is pretty much as good as they get in the compact range. There is other Canon lens such as telephoto than can be used with the G10 if required. If you can pick up a G10 over the next few months then I would go for it. I managed to part ex my old Sony camera in that saved a bit. Also a couple of shot from a few weeks ago….it does not show how cold it was!!

IMG_0420-Optimized.JPG.0829f96e4eb20c98905453857eaa4c9f.JPG

IMG_0419-Optimized.JPG.9566a2255b8a2d9a03f97f204478009f.JPG

Steve, they are cracking shots.

you need to get them over to Climb Magazine, if you haven't already.

Where abouts, near home?

What was the grade?

Which Sony did you trade in?

I may of already asked, but which cam did you take out with yoiu for the vulture project?

Cheers

D

Steve, they are cracking shots.

you need to get them over to Climb Magazine, if you haven't already.

Where abouts, near home?

What was the grade?

Which Sony did you trade in?

I may of already asked, but which cam did you take out with yoiu for the vulture project?

Cheers

D

Thanks!..the climbing pictures I have published on UKClimbing.com with some good feedback….i will try to keep with the theme of this website and upload tree related pictures as I do not want to fill the website up with rock climbing pictures….the route is on Trial Wall situated in Rhossli on the Gower - South Wales. The route is called Crime and Punishment and is E5 6b in old money but a few cheeky bolts have made it a mix of bold sports and traditional gear so weighing in at a sports grade of around French 7a+. This is way above what I lead at the moment!

I traded in my fairly new Sony Cybershot (I think it was something like the DSC-W55 or similar). I brought it for the Vulture work and was pretty pleased with the results. On that note I have been waiting to hear back if I am required to help out this year but I think things may not be going to plan.

Cheers Steve

MMMmmmm, Im going to buy this one right NOW!

The Afterlife of a Tree

A Bobiec, J M Gutowski, W F Laudenslayer, P Pawlaczyk & K Zub

WWF Poland 1995

P/B 248pp

Illustrated throughout in colour

Forests, home to two-thirds of all plant and animal species, are the hub of biological diversity. That is why WWF has for years focused its efforts on protecting the most significant and threatened forests.

Up to 50% of forest species depend on veteran trees and deadwood for their survival. Deadwood provides habitat, shelter and food source for birds, bats and other mammals and is particularly important for the less visible majority of forest dwelling species: insects, especially beetles, fungi and lichens. Although the role of deadwood in proper functioning of forests is more and more recognized, the view that a "clean" forest is a healthy forest still persists. Other common myths about negative impacts of deadwood are that over-aged forests are a problem and that dead trees harbour diseases. As a result we have now a critically low level of deadwood in many European countries, mainly due to inappropriate management practices in commercial forests and even in protected areas.

This book attempts to debunk such myths and change attitudes towards the role of deadwood. It is addressed to scientists as well as to all who are interested in nature of forest ecosystems. This book will be instrumental in achieving a much deeper understanding for deadwood as a key indicator of naturalness in forest ecosystems and help decision makers responsible for environmental protection and forest management to make conscious choices for the good of nature and man.