Hamadryads fungus diary

Think their Id's are based on field scopes looking at pores etc......

I dont doubt his findings are right, buy I just have to find these things myself before I take it as a given, I believe this is a rule in research?

You know how much time I spend looking for these things, it has to be a rare occurance, oportunism due to lack of fruit bodies of applanatum maybe?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont doubt his findings are right, buy I just have to find these things myself before I take it as a given, I believe this is a rule in research?

You know how much time I spend looking for these things, it has to be a rare occurance, oportunism due to lack of fruit bodies of applanatum maybe?

Only way to get a handle is to get out there and look at these in the flesh and in their environment.

The truth is out there........:biggrin:

Think you have it right with latter statement :thumbup1:

NOt so much elaboration, just mucho learning!!!

LOL, just something to consider, arboriculture as a subject- imagine how many tree species there are, now consider that for every tree species there may be 10 fungal species! We know (collectivley) NOTHING about this complex and fascinating subject. If ever there was an area to make "your mark" arb related mycology is it. There are those that would tell you there are only a few significant fungi and all that blah blah, but fungal study is going to contribute massively to arboricutural practice in years to come.

tree health, preservation and eco system health and diversity are all driven by these key organisms.

one might even be so bold as to suggest that without fungi, life on earth would not be possible nor would have evolved to the point we now know.

Lichens are the pioneers, and they are a fungi algae symbiosis, without them we would not have "the good earth":thumbup1:

There is more than an element of truth in your post Hamadryad. The actual building blocks of ALL life on earth and the interaction between all the living organisms and the earth itself are all working at individual base levels......the invisible things are actually the things that make it all work in other words.

We as 'individuals' are just large vessels of chemical and electrical activity, and on an even smalller scale, we are not even individuals, but mere facets of one enourmous molecular interaction........:001_huh:

There is more than an element of truth in your post Hamadryad. The actual building blocks of ALL life on earth and the interaction between all the living organisms and the earth itself are all working at individual base levels......the invisible things are actually the things that make it all work in other words.

We as 'individuals' are just large vessels of chemical and electrical activity, and on an even smalller scale, we are not even individuals, but mere facets of one enourmous molecular interaction........:001_huh:

You should look into "inclusional theory" Alan Rayner, i think youd enjoy it!:thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

Auricularia auriculare judea (jews ear) with peniophora quercina (crust fungi) on ash deadwood.

P1010738.jpg.bb0c6c9a7724ed3c29dcc1b985f767ce.jpg

Ustulina duesta imperfect stage

P1010801.jpg.4f2c0befb177e6956dc4a1f62f522127.jpg

Brittle (stone like) fracture associated with ustulina (soft rot) selestive break down of cellulose leaving the stiff ligin relativley unchanged hence the dangers associated with ustulina.

P1010805.jpg.53893e443b80e8e489d6ea0ff9615575.jpg

Emerging clump of Hypholoma fasiculare (sulphur tuft)

P1010823.jpg.9467a7780e206fe6e74ead611d9bf3f6.jpg

Close up of emerging H. fasciculare

P1010831.jpg.2b2ac7542d07c448274079e7f43a75d0.jpg