windblown cs34

bill

hi chaps 34 is individual windblow, you must have cs32 medium tree befor you can do the cs34 test, while the advice is ok above about getting a joint assessment to save mony thats asuming you pass the 32 or you loose the lot!!!

the cs34 especially if you have cs32 is an easy unit, taught in 1 day to most, focuses on planning, controlling and use of winches and then takes cuts you already know and changes them a little, bingo job done, but only of relevance if you have a single tree on the deck.

CS35 multiple windblown is were the poo hits the fan stack of 6 trees, part blown and snapped top hung up, alas no green houses.

from a training point of veiw hard to find the sites to run the training, is very hard, also from a trainers point of veiw id alway encourage people to do training and certification, but the choice is always yours.

ive failed many cs32 candidates but most cs34 get through fine as buy the time they have worked there way through the pre required tickets they have a good standard

ho hum

chat soon

arbocop

hi chaps 34 is individual windblow, you must have cs32 medium tree befor you can do the cs34 test, while the advice is ok above about getting a joint assessment to save mony thats asuming you pass the 32 or you loose the lot!!!

the cs34 especially if you have cs32 is an easy unit, taught in 1 day to most, focuses on planning, controlling and use of winches and then takes cuts you already know and changes them a little, bingo job done, but only of relevance if you have a single tree on the deck.

CS35 multiple windblown is were the poo hits the fan stack of 6 trees, part blown and snapped top hung up, alas no green houses.

from a training point of veiw hard to find the sites to run the training, is very hard, also from a trainers point of veiw id alway encourage people to do training and certification, but the choice is always yours.

ive failed many cs32 candidates but most cs34 get through fine as buy the time they have worked there way through the pre required tickets they have a good standard

ho hum

chat soon

arbocop

the lantra training course covers partial windblown. alas not snapped tops. cs 32 to an experienced operator is also easy. too many novice operators are put forward for cs 32 without gaining enough saw time.

.....CS35 multiple windblown is were the poo hits the fan stack of 6 trees, part blown and snapped top hung up, alas no green houses....

...from a training point of veiw hard to find the sites to run the training, is very hard, also from a trainers point of veiw id alway encourage people to do training and certification, but the choice is always yours....

arbocop

There are many trainers who have never dealt with this sort of thing in the work place , day in day out. Training situatiions are very controlled and quite different to daily work routine.

I don't want to discourage people from training. Training is about learning safe techniques and nothing more. Skills must be mastered in the workplace which is where trainers fail as they spend more time teaching than honing their skills.

There are many trainers who have never dealt with this sort of thing in the work place , day in day out. Training situatiions are very controlled and quite different to daily work routine.

I don't want to discourage people from training. Training is about learning safe techniques and nothing more. Skills must be mastered in the workplace which is where trainers fail as they spend more time teaching than honing their skills.

training followed by experience in the work place followed by further training this is the way forward.

too many students are given the training but not the saw time to back up what they have learned!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

3 dogs/logoloogist

i cant disagree with wat you say, it is oftern forgotten that the nptc units and lantra training mearly represent a basic minimum standard,

intersting you say training, time on saw then test is the way ahead, it is indeed the way things used to be doen, but many pressures have altered that model.

no amount of training can replace tertiary knowledge, gained from the vital mix of experience, training and general involvement.

so back to the point some candidates very little saw time excellent cutters, otheres loads of training but still best advice to then is get a job at tescos.

arbocop

I did the windblown course a few years ago. Anyone who has been in tree work for more than a few years will find it easy - there's nothing in the course that an experienced tree worker couldn't figure out for themselves. Basically, take your time and think through what you're about to do and you'll be fine.

I've used saws for 20 odd years,just joined the N.P.T.C. fold.

I am very aware that there is an awful lot that i don't know. It's hard to know how to learn.

C.S. 34 would be really usefull in the future so C.S.32b will be next. C.S.31 is up to 15",should I stick to that and practice what i've been taught?,if I go bigger on the farm do I use a bigger saw with the same cuts,try to borrow the book for C.S.32 to get used to that,or pull it over and out with a tractor and crosscut?!

The ideal would be to have a chainsaw guru to talk to who works to the N.P.T.C. book.Then trees that I am certified for,had identified for hazards,and was sure about i would be happy to fell,others i could ask.

The old apprenticeship had a lot going for it if you had a good tutor,imo.

The one thing i am certain of is that anything i do wrong could make life difficult for present users and impossible the future ones.

Any advice would be welcomed,:confused: