Another Merrip thread.

Mesterh

Just thought I'd ask since there are a few good threads knocking about on Merrip, has any studying been done as to how long a life expectancy can be after merrip being discovered.

I know its a bit of string question, but just a thought:001_smile:

After having a quick look at my question I see that it isnt very well phrased:confused1:

So basically once we see a fruiting body is there a rough estimate as to how long its been present then how long the tree has before it will drop dead and fall over. Oh and this is with no intervention from us.

Thats the same question as asking your doctor when that cancer is going to kill you, and we still are not certain that meripilus is always a failure scenario.

The paper linked in my thread by Julian forbes laird indicates the potential for two forms of Meripilus, one more saprobe than pathogen, the other with a more facaltive strategy.

I have my eyes on a dozen beech with Meripilus, when one fails i will have a good idea of a ball park figure, but each case is different and as JFL points out the worst cases nigh on always involve "interferance" buy man. What I mean to say is that Meripilus is in the forest like Armillaria, ubiquotus and ever present, just part and parcel of the diversity of the arboreal eco system. There the Fungus is held off and out competed often by other fungi in a diverse healthy forest eco system.

When you have a tree in an urbanised zone, or under considerable human interaction you have a number of factors affecting the flora and fauna of the rhizosphere and meripilus can and does frequently monopolise the stressed tree in the urban context.

The less disturbance the better the long term prognosis i suspect.

Another translation for those of us not fluent in Fungan - Wikipedia

The rhizosphere is the narrow region of soil that is directly influenced by root secretions and associated soil microorganisms.[1] Soil which is not part of the rhizosphere is known as bulk soil. The rhizosphere contains many bacteria that feed on sloughed-off plant cells, termed rhizodeposition, and the proteins and sugars released by roots. Protozoa and nematodes that graze on bacteria are also more abundant in the rhizosphere. Thus, much of the nutrient cycling and disease suppression needed by plants occurs immediately adjacent to roots.[2]

Hama - Wikipedia didn't have facaltive strategy did you mean 'facultative' as in translation below:

Symbiotic nitrogen (N) fixers are critical components of many terrestrial ecosystems. There is evidence that some N fixers fix N at the same rate regardless of environmental conditions (a strategy we call obligate), while others adjust N fixation to meet their needs (a strategy we call facultative). Although these strategies are likely to have qualitatively different impacts on their environment, the relative effectiveness and ecosystem-level impacts of each strategy have not been explored.

Another translation for those of us not fluent in Fungan - Wikipedia

The rhizosphere is the narrow region of soil that is directly influenced by root secretions and associated soil microorganisms.[1] Soil which is not part of the rhizosphere is known as bulk soil. The rhizosphere contains many bacteria that feed on sloughed-off plant cells, termed rhizodeposition, and the proteins and sugars released by roots. Protozoa and nematodes that graze on bacteria are also more abundant in the rhizosphere. Thus, much of the nutrient cycling and disease suppression needed by plants occurs immediately adjacent to roots.[2]

Why thankyou :001_smile: understand a bit better know, at least someone acknowleges that some people are trying to learn.:001_rolleyes:

The paper linked in my thread by Julian forbes laird indicates the potential for two forms of Meripilus, one more saprobe than pathogen, the other with a more facaltive strategy.

QUOTE]

Out of interested by what means can you ID between the two forms?

thanks Steve

Now theres a serious question!

And before i answer it i will state that I do not yet know/understand the full extent of these variations yet, some may be totaly irrelevant!

Some forms seem, as JFL suggests, to have a darker upper surface and a thicker more robust profile, which shows at the lip/cap edge.

These also seem to be quiet "warty" at least often enough to note, and a deeper yellow/orange, underside or pore surface, which yes they all seem at first emergence.

The other form seems to be much thinner in section, with bigger fans, or fronds a much more "open structure" and a paler yellow.

I think that what i think may be a potential third form could well be the same as the thinner more open form, just better nourished and in "optimum condition/s"

This potential third I believe is where this fungus derived its common name "the giant polypore" this form I have only seen twice, and it is remarkably and very notably larger than the other "forms" ive seen.

This is simply an observation and has no scientific/research or factual basis, but isnt that where it always starts? Of course I may well be talking utter rubbish, but I'm o.k with being proven wrong or having someone point me in the right direction! At the end of the day if I speak from the heart and mind i will at least get a response and find people that can and will have these conversations! This kind of information is just so hard to come by, its a lonely world for the mycology freaks! were a rare breed it seems.:biggrin:

So basically once we see a fruiting body is there a rough estimate as to how long its been present then how long the tree has before it will drop dead and fall over. Oh and this is with no intervention from us.

problem is they dont just drop dead! meripilus usually only decays the main anchore roots leaving the feeding roots intact so the tree apears relativly healthy!,that is why when its diagnosed trees are traditionaly felled because its not obvious the tree is dead or dangerous to most people unless they know what they are looking for.