Nutrition

Steve Bullman

I was once told that the bigger the feed the lower the eyelids :biggrin: certainly applies to me. I won't even stop once I'm working otherwise I can't get up the energy or enthusiasm to get going again. It does mean that I can allow myself to knock off a bit early though.

Oly applies to me after a good Sunday roast then I can def do with a good snooze:thumbup:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Assuming were all over 16 we should be eating around 2500 calories per day from foods containing carbohydrates, proteins and fats (all of which are needed by our bodies daily). If you are doing any kind of manual job then that total can easily go up to 3500+ calories per day, solely to provide yourself with enough energy to complete your tasks. (random related fact, a soldier in physical training will eat around 4500+ calories per day, split over three or more meals).

I read though the entire post and didn't see anyone who ate a decent sized portion of protein, if any at all, for breakfast (which is the most important meal of the day). If you eat protein and carbohydrates together (which one post advised not to do!) your body will take longer to digest the food, keeping you feeling fuller for longer (hence the reason for a good breakfast). If you just eat carbohydrates for breakfast your blood sugar levels rise rapidly and then crash soon after (which results in you feeling hungry again) and if you then eat more carbs (chocolate/crisps/sweets etc) you'll just end up feeling the same again until you eat a proper meal.

A good rule to stick to is to eat at least one/two parts carbohydrate and one part protein at each meal, and add fats (marg/spreads/oils) sparingly. Make breakfast as big as you can, without over doing it, and then eat every 2-4 hours (or sooner if you need to) throughout your working day.

If you don't eat enough and have a lapse in energy during the day, take five minutes out and have something to eat to restore your energy. And if you carry on once your energy levels have dropped you are leaving yourself prone to making mistakes that could result in injury, or worse (especially in this line of work).

And not forgetting liquid. We all need to drink plenty during the day too. Hydration is just as important as eating enough food. During the summer, especially if you are working outside, you should drink as often as possible to stop dehydration. Once dehydration sets in, which often starts as a dull headache, your concentration levels drop dramatically, which again leaves you prone to making mistakes. And if you don't get out of the shade and a few pints of water/juice in you you're going to make yourself really sick. On an average day I'll get through 3 liters of water/juice at work, and if its really hot maybe 5+ liters.

I always wonder how people get by on what they eat, and seemingly have no trouble at all ;)

On a typical day I'll eat between four and six meals. I eat to the above rule 2parts carbohydrate/1part protein per meal, which I'll just make up from proteins like turkey, chicken, beef, quorn, eggs, mackerel or tuna and carbs like green veg, salad veg, baked beans, wholemeal bread, oats, noodles, rice. I do eat more than that but that's off the top of my head. I also abide by the 90/10 rule, 90% healthy and 10% what ever I want, which allows for two or three mindless self indulgence meals each week, ie beer and pizza, fish and chips, burger king etc...

Great post :thumbup:

Being a bit thick, are Protiens lean meats and fish, and Carbohydrates are greens as a general rule?

What about salts, sugars and fats?

So 2 parts carb and 1 part protien is good for energy, what about if you want to bulk up too?

Being a bit thick, are Protiens lean meats and fish, and Carbohydrates are greens as a general rule?

So 2 parts carb and 1 part protien is good for energy, what about if you want to bulk up too?

To bulk up take one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, so if you weigh 200Ilbs take 200grams of protein per day. Take it at regular intervals and take no more than 20-30grams at a time otherwise it will pass through your system with no effect other than damage your kidneys.

To bulk up take one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, so if you weigh 200Ilbs take 200grams of protein per day. Take it at regular intervals and take no more than 20-30grams at a time otherwise it will pass through your system with no effect other than damage your kidneys.

Are you talking about protien powder there Mick?

So you just eat normally, or as Darren187 suggests, then the extra protien portions ontop?

I try to get my protein from food alone Josh but sometimes it is hard to do, so I always have a tub of protein powder in the house for when I'm busy with work and don't have the time to eat properly.

Another good tip that works for me is to take 20grams of protein half an hour before training and another 20 grams half an hour after training.

If you really want to bulk up then train only one body part per session with no more than 16 sets and train for no more than 1hr and 15 minutes.

I'll try and keep it simple :)

Proteins are foods that contain a good range of amino acids, which rebuild muscle cells. Protein containing foods are measured on their 'biological value', the higher their BV the better.

Food-Info.net : Biological Value

Fats are more complicated, but this page explains them quite well (even if it says it for women lol, it also applies equally for men too!)

Dietary Fat and Cholesterol

Carbohydrates (sugars) are even more complicated then fats and proteins. Trying to keep it simple, good/beneficial carbs are pretty much all vegetables, fruits that have or contain bright coloured flesh, and grains. Bad carbs are generally heavily processed foods like cakes, combined chocolates etc... these all take a long time to break down in the digestive system, and once broken down provide very little nutritional value. In general the less processing a carbohydrate food has the better, nutritionally, it is for you.

Carbohydrates (EUFIC)

It would be very hard, and quite boring though, if you ate all raw and non processed foods all the time! So a little of the not so good foods will not do you any major harm.

If you plan on bulking up, and I'll assume you're referring to gaining muscle, then accompanied with a good weight training program, the same 2 parts carbs and 1 part protein still applies, you simply have to consume more calories each day than your body can burn off, so that you can repair and build more muscle fibers. The easiest way to do this is just by adding one or two extra meals to your daily diet on the days you work out! The other more technical way to work out how much protein (carbs and fats) to eat daily is to count calories and use a macro nutrient breakdown, which divides the three main food groups into percentages of your daily calorie total. It's a much more accurate way to measure your daily intake, and the results are often superior to 'just winging it', but it's also quite time consuming.

Macronutrient Recommendations

Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

Salt, the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for an adult is around 6 grams, which can be added to foods. If you eat a wide range of foods you will probably get that amount each day anyway, as salt is often added to food during processing.

Edited by Darren187

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Fruit has it's place but generally speaking is a poor choice for lasting energy due to fructose(or fruit sugars) being simple carbs,good for spiking insulin but nothing more.

Also to correct a piece of incorrect advice 1 gram of protein to bodyweight will not provide any effect for bulking up that is a daily maintenance levelthat everyone should be adhering to,1.5-to 2 grams along with an increase in dietary fats will increase muscle size along with correct resistance exercise.Also carbs are over rated,no such thing as an essential carb.

For health eat like a caveman.Plenty fibrous veg,and quality cuts of fatty and White meat,and eggs and milk.That's all we were designed to eat and our bodies digestivly speaking have not changed since,however our eating habits have.

Modern grains and carbs are to blame for obesity and diabetes and digestive issuses most folk suffer in modern day times.

I'm never very far away from this book Amazon.co.uk: new optimum nutrition bible: Books

Also check out The Fit For Life food combining chart. It lists the major food groups and best forms of each. It used to come with the book [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fit-Life-Harvey-Diamond/dp/0553815881]Fit For Life: Amazon.co.uk: Harvey Diamond, Marilyn Diamond: 9780553815887: Books[/ame]

Nutrition is like anything else, baffling, boring and too much faf unless you are really motivated to do something about it. Then it's easy because you are ready to learn.

Low blood sugar or highs and lows are caused simply by either a shortage of Chromium and or your body is set to burn sugar instead of fat. The 'wall' is when your body runs out of carbs, your tank is empty and no amount of refilling will make any difference to the hollow feeling. Eat like a horse and still feel like you could eat a horse and go back for the saddle.

Learn for yourself from good sources. :001_smile: