• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An exert from some information found by a fellow student

FYI

TDA 147

Gales of January, 2012

The storm force winds across Britain in early January 2012, caused widespread disruption to power supplies and transport. Fallen and broken trees blocked roads, caused damage to buildings and disrupted power supplies in parts of Britain. In the south east there were fatalities among travellers.

We have received two reports of trees with Meripilus giganteus, that were scheduled for felling, being uprooted by these strong winds.

The Tree Advice Trust has an ongoing investigation into the effects of Meripilus on the development of decay within trees and their stability (TDA 63). This has involved examination of trees known to be infected and that have been felled. The Trust will welcome information of any instances of trees with records of having produced Meripilus giganteus fruit bodies, whether or not failure of the tree occurred. Please send details of the tree species, location (OS map reference and nearest town) and situation i.e. urban (please specify roadside or non-roadside), Woodland, agriculture, parkland or garden (see over for pro-forma reporting).

Incidentally, an interesting case was found in West Sussex, where a Beech tree, growing alongside a minor road, was uprooted on 5th January causing disruption to traffic. In the same vicinity two larger Beech trees, that had produced Meripilus fruit bodies for several years, standing on the side of a busy ‘A’ road were felled as a precaution about 8 years ago. So in this case the decision to fell these two trees was probably justified!

Brian Greig, Tree Pathologist, AAIS.

this should be the proforma

Application Form TS 1010.doc

Came across a fairly large oak to day which is completely ringed at the base by what appears to be dessicated Merip. This tree has had a hardcore prune a few years back (as a result of the merip i predsume).

How prevalent on oak is Merip and does it affect Oak to the same degree as beech for instance.?

Came across a fairly large oak to day which is completely ringed at the base by what appears to be dessicated Merip. This tree has had a hardcore prune a few years back (as a result of the merip i predsume).

How prevalent on oak is Merip and does it affect Oak to the same degree as beech for instance.?

from what ive seen it is similar to that of beech but probably a lot slower in its effect, it is on the increase in oaks for certain.

i think many fungi are increasing thier host range with global temps.

from what ive seen it is similar to that of beech but probably a lot slower in its effect, it is on the increase in oaks for certain.

i think many fungi are increasing thier host range with global temps.

I'd be inclined to agree with Tony here, it appears to be increasing its host range & prevellance quite noticably.

Here on declining Oak first & dead Oak second. Both have Ganoderma present also.

IMG_7014.JPG.8139015ab63afeeb387efa838570c6ab.JPG

IMG_5777.jpg.558cc7c6fc1ebae3288f7e4b20b3d019.jpg