Tree course recommendations

Olis

3 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Do you actually know any consultants who regularly earn 100 grand a year, or are most scraping a living for 30 or 40 grand a year as I suggested? 

Day rates for consultants is between £200 and £800 depending on qualifications and experience.  The real top ones can make £180 an hour - I know a bloke who charges this and is always busy.  Based on this i would say there are plenty that do earn top money, certainly more than the average or even top paid lorry driver.  Plus, as Jules said, its a nice job.  But yes the 30-40 is probably quite a few of them as not everyone is driven by the money.  I'm not, i spend part of my time working for an LPA as a TO and i turn away consultancy work every week.  I could earn more if i left the LPA but i like they variation.                                                         

3 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I left the industry entirely. I'm now a writer. 

Sound interesting, big change.  Novels or journalism?    

12 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

Day rates for consultants is between £200 and £800 depending on qualifications and experience.  The real top ones can make £180 an hour - I know a bloke who charges this and is always busy.  Based on this i would say there are plenty that do earn top money, certainly more than the average or even top paid lorry driver.  Plus, as Jules said, its a nice job.  But yes the 30-40 is probably quite a few of them as not everyone is driven by the money.  I'm not, i spend part of my time working for an LPA as a TO and i turn away consultancy work every week.  I could earn more if i left the LPA but i like they variation.                                                         

Sound interesting, big change.  Novels or journalism?    

I realise it seems that I'm being deliberately argumentative; that's not my intention. I hear these kind of things every day though " so and so's day rate is a grand, so he must be on 240 grand a year". In my experience, many professionals only end up actually charging themselves out at their hourly rate for a few hours per day. I myself spent a lot of time putting systems in place to make sure someone is paying me for every hour I'm working. Most people don't manage it though. Anyway, it's been interesting to hear the opinion of someone who's ' in the trenches'. 

No, there's no money in journalism and I have neither the patience nor focus to write a novel. I am writing a book (based mainly on the psychology of how people make decisions and how we can influence those decisions), but at the moment my bread and butter work involves advising businesses along similar lines. I basically tell people how to persuade other people to do things. 

4 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I realise it seems that I'm being deliberately argumentative; that's not my intention. I hear these kind of things every day though " so and so's day rate is a grand, so he must be on 240 grand a year". In my experience, many professionals only end up actually charging themselves out at their hourly rate for a few hours per day. I myself spent a lot of time putting systems in place to make sure someone is paying me for every hour I'm working. Most people don't manage it though. Anyway, it's been interesting to hear the opinion of someone who's ' in the trenches'. 

No probs, your tone didn't come across as argumentative.        

4 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

No, there's no money in journalism and I have neither the patience nor focus to write a novel. I am writing a book (based mainly on the psychology of how people make decisions and how we can influence those decisions), but at the moment my bread and butter work involves advising businesses along similar lines. I basically tell people how to persuade other people to do things. 

That sounds pretty cool.  I have read a couple of Malcolm Gladwell's books, he touches on some of that stuff in one of his books.  Really interesting stuff.  Good luck with it.