The Ganoderma thread!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This was on a large Beech I felled this week. The tree was being felled because of its size, age and proximity to several property's.

I was contracted in for the fell and had not seen the tree until the day of the job.

I removed a hedge and some Clematis and found this bracket (sorry about the poor quality of the pic's) I showed the client the bracket and told them I thought the tree would be hollow and that there decision to remove had just become a very good one!!

Fortunately the majority of the rot was on the compression side of the hinge, other wise I would have had to dismantle.

59765d1254d56_chunkybeech005.jpg.4ebd829a1e177b4381094d244866ce2a.jpg

59765d1252428_chunkybeech002.jpg.b1ae7ac3c9adc25cacff0b566331fa51.jpg

59765d124d4f0_chunkybeech001.jpg.8aac42cd0dad34dd4b310850a1e9e94b.jpg

Ok, bit of help needed here. Found around base of 2foot dia Ash, along exposed roots along a brick-lined lake, significant lean on the tree, quite advanced fungal brackets Gano what, and reading the directory I'm thinking serious de-lignification? No brackets visible above ground level.

IMG00709-20110630-0900.jpg.28f262a13a8423b9ae9592ebb9b1a2ba.jpg

IMG00708-20110630-0858.jpg.9f2a6fd60cfb4b285814c673b0b2e8e3.jpg

Ok, bit of help needed here. Found around base of 2foot dia Ash, along exposed roots along a brick-lined lake, significant lean on the tree, quite advanced fungal brackets Gano what, and reading the directory I'm thinking serious de-lignification? No brackets visible above ground level.

Andy,

First question to be answered : is it a rusty brown sporulating perennial Ganoderma or the white spores producing Perenniporia fraxinea ?

In the top pic the brackets appear almost black, though it could be rusty in places. sorry not very good on the fungi:blushing: Just looked at the P. and it looks nearer to that, though blacker than shown pics. Thanks fpr the pointer in the right direction

Edited by Andy Collins

Thanks Tony, I looked it up after Gerrit mentioned it, and is my assumption now:thumbup1: Given the poor pics provided, the parasitic nature and the issues with this fungi, how aggressive is it? The tree is in a tricky spot, but not in a position that will endanger life or property. Just need an rough idea so I can maybe warn client and have give it a wider berth with fencing if necessary.

Edited by Andy Collins

Thanks Tony, I looked it up after Gerrit mentioned it, and is my assumption now:thumbup1: Given the poor pics provided, the parasitic nature and the issues with this fungi, how aggressive is it? The tree is in a tricky spot, but not in a position that will endanger life or property. Just need an rough idea so I can maybe warn client and have give it a wider berth with fencing if necessary.

Of all the trees ive seen with perenniporia all bar one still stand, I know of one ash in particular that is on a riverbank and undermined with massive colonisation of perenniporia for a decade that I know of. Its clear that it is a species specific relationship (maybe different on other hosts) but as for the ash, Im certain if the tree is healthy and vital compensation will be obvious within the root crown.

I wouldnt want a leaning tree with it over my home, but reduced and loadings kept low I dont see why ash cant be retained in the long term if monitored and or reduced. It is not one of the fungi that inspires fear in me, just caution.