Using live trees as fenceposts...

peds

As mentioned above, I'd find out who's responsibility it is to fence the ground before commencing work. Leccy's been mentioned which is a good quick solution - I used to keep pigs in by using hazel sticks with those screw-in insulators attached instead of those plastic posts, worked just as well.

I remember doing a job in Derbyshire years ago now, clearing willow to open up some ponds - couple of the local farmers asked if they could take any willow to use as stakes to which I replied yes, but won't they rot out in a couple of years? Apparently, they used them in damp ground as 'live' fence posts - if you put them in the right way up they'd grow as cuttings. They showed me some examples, I've never come across this anywhere else either before or since.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, I'd find out who's responsibility it is to fence the ground before commencing work. Leccy's been mentioned which is a good quick solution - I used to keep pigs in by using hazel sticks with those screw-in insulators attached instead of those plastic posts, worked just as well.
I remember doing a job in Derbyshire years ago now, clearing willow to open up some ponds - couple of the local farmers asked if they could take any willow to use as stakes to which I replied yes, but won't they rot out in a couple of years? Apparently, they used them in damp ground as 'live' fence posts - if you put them in the right way up they'd grow as cuttings. They showed me some examples, I've never come across this anywhere else either before or since.

I’ve got a cousin in law who’s a professional willow worker.
Does mad living sculptures and huts etc.
She also does live willow fencing.
Lay two rows of willow just offset by an inch.
About 4” apart.
Then bend each alternate stem at 45 degrees and tie with waxed string.
Creates a diamond shaped stock proof fence.
Looks very nice too.
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

Willow lasts a lot better than most people assume it will, even dead. It has quite a lot of tannin in the bark so as long as you leave that intact it holds up for a good few years. I use it for light tree stakes when I need to put a rabbit guard on a whip.

Alec

I've been clearing some old syc this winter and have regularly "located" staples and old wire in them, couple of chains badly damaged, please don't hammer staples in and wrap wire round trees its just a disaster for the trees and the saw coming to harvest them years later. Electric quick and easy alternative and i do like the sound of the live willow hedge/fence.

• Like 1

That's what's good about this forum, lots of different takes on the situation. Thanks all for the advice.

The neighbouring fields are owned by a farmer from whom we just bought a narrow strip of land adjacent to our access lane so we can widen it, part of the deal was to replace the hedge and fencing that we removed so we could get the work done. The ramshackle fencing around the property wasn't touched, but it's in need of repair anyway. I'm grateful for the sheep and donkeys that have been on the property for the last few years, they've kept the weeds down, and I'll be letting them stay on it this year too, until we can start building. 

It might well be his responsibility, but graveyards are full of people who had right of way. We had the digger clear out his ditches whilst on site too, and I've scattered a bit of rye and clover seed on the few bits of land the digger mashed up. No big deal, and we want to stay friends with the neighbour because I'd like to buy a couple of acres from him in a couple of years time.

Anyway, I should have mentioned that all the best trees are already studded with wire and staples, so the damage is done. I wouldn't bother putting wire on any of the hawthorn small enough to lay, just the chunky ash and willows.

I did a full check of the border today, it's about 30% that needs replacing, the rest just needs tacking up a bit higher, a few new posts and another strand of barbed on top. 

Photo is an example of dozens of similar. 

20210320_151951.jpg

• Like 1

We do pretty much all our temporary fencing in the coppice using live trees as fence posts. But we tie a post to the tree using bailer twine. Then fence around it. Works really well but it is removed before it can do any real damage to the trees. Such good anchors especially in really rocky sites, really quick to setup..