Some grotty photos for you to look at (scored piston content)

Darkslider

Yep the springing was just the flywheel magnet so good shout by several of you there, at least I know what that feels like now. 

If I paid £113 I wouldn't be so peeved 🙈 here's the listing which made me think it was worth a gamble on it being a carb issue 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 2007 STIHL MS200T Tree Surgeon Arborist Top Handle...

According to eBay the seller doesn't accept returns anyway so looks like I'm stuck with it. 😂

Edited by Darkslider
  • Sad 1

That's not too bad... Mine came missing the starter unit and all sorts. Shit happens and you overpaid a little for what you got but oh well! Chances are the seller may not have known anything about chainsaw mechanics and thought that because it was old it was a bit slow to start and that's just what it is. You often find people like that don't inspect or service their gear properly so things get missed, engines run lean, fuel filters get plugged etc etc which would explain the damage. Give it a good clean, strip it right down (leave the crankcase together) and stick a new head/piston on it and give it a good vacuum test with the intake boot fitted and go from there. No leaks, no worries. Rebuild the carb with a genuine Zama kit and you should have a pretty bulletproof machine 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's not too bad... Mine came missing the starter unit and all sorts. Shit happens and you overpaid a little for what you got but oh well! Chances are the seller may not have known anything about chainsaw mechanics and thought that because it was old it was a bit slow to start and that's just what it is. You often find people like that don't inspect or service their gear properly so things get missed, engines run lean, fuel filters get plugged etc etc which would explain the damage. Give it a good clean, strip it right down (leave the crankcase together) and stick a new head/piston on it and give it a good vacuum test with the intake boot fitted and go from there. No leaks, no worries. Rebuild the carb with a genuine Zama kit and you should have a pretty bulletproof machine 

I think that's got to be my plan really ! A bit different from the £19 carb kit and it being worth £500 with all the others I had in mind 😂 this just means it's got to be a keeper now I guess which I'm not too upset about. 

Just annoying as I could have bought a non runner for £100-150, instead I've paid over the odds for something that's going to need all the same jobs doing anyway. 

Still it'll be a learning experience I suppose 👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisNewport said:

Send it back, its not as described, it doesnt start and run brilliant as once its warm it cuts out, which t will.  Make sure you open the case as not as described and you will get your money back. it may take 2 weeks but you will get it.

It's also nails to pull over to get it going, reminds me of trying to start the 1500cc diesel mewp we hired when the electric starter packed in. I guess it doesn't take much of a pickup on the cylinder to make it bind and try to pop your shoulder out 😂

If it's the collective opinion that 'starts and runs brilliant' is far enough off the mark to be taking the P then maybe I'll try returning it, with no bar and chain I haven't run it up to temp yet but it definitely doesn't fit my description of 'starting brilliant'.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

It's also nails to pull over to get it going, reminds me of trying to start the 1500cc diesel mewp we hired when the electric starter packed in. I guess it doesn't take much of a pickup on the cylinder to make it bind and try to pop your shoulder out 😂

If it's the collective opinion that 'starts and runs brilliant' is far enough off the mark to be taking the P then maybe I'll try returning it, with no bar and chain I haven't run it up to temp yet but it definitely doesn't fit my description of 'starting brilliant'.

This is the risk of eBay, "starting brilliant" to one person is different to "starting brilliant" to a mechanic or someone who knows their stuff! 

30 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

This is the risk of eBay, "starting brilliant" to one person is different to "starting brilliant" to a mechanic or someone who knows their stuff! 

To me 'starting brilliant' is a burp on the first or second pull and firing on the third, not ten hard yanks and a shoulder dislocation 😅 

I've put in an eBay request for a return anyway so we'll see what comes of it. If the seller is on here hopefully he'll realise he's not being swindled, I just can't stomach paying a well running price for a saw that needs all the same work as a seized non runner. 

Just now, Paddy1000111 said:

I'd be interested to know the outcome. I've never returned something on a private sale! 

I did a long time ago, on a pair of suspension forks for a mountain bike. Think we settled on a partial refund that covered the cost of the parts needed to rebuild them, I ended up losing several hours of my life but got forks with 50% new internals so it worked out ok in the end.

Not sure if that will be an option here, as well as a pot and piston it desperately needs a drive sprocket, the muffler and various plastics are cracked or melted, and I'm expecting it has a leaking intake boot or crank seals as it stinks of fuel all the time, even the postie commented he shouldn't have had the box in his van really 😂 so if I try and take off the cost of parts it needs he might end up paying me 🤔

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Popped the flywheel off and the springing goes with it so good shout by several of you there, at least I know what that feels like now. 

If I paid £113 I wouldn't be so peeved 🙈 here's the listing which made me think it was worth a gamble on it being a carb issue 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 2007 STIHL MS200T Tree Surgeon Arborist Top Handle...

According to eBay the seller doesn't accept returns anyway so looks like I'm stuck with it. It's now not starting anymore either, marvellous 😂

On the listing it says 30 day returns ?   Have you left feed back yet ?  Hope not ...

Edited by Stubby