Saw logs required

Dan.masterman

17 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

If the timber is out of the elements I’m not sure you’d need to treat other softwoods anyway? 

Cladding would obviously be different.

You’re  gonna love me for slapping a mix of burst oil and AFT around the bases of my fence posts then. 🤣

17 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

If the timber is out of the elements I’m not sure you’d need to treat other softwoods anyway? 

Cladding would obviously be different.

You’re  gonna love me for slapping a mix of burst oil and AFT around the bases of my fence posts then. 🤣

Yeah it’s for exposed decking for a yurt base and other framing that will

be our all weathers.

ill just pretend I didn’t read the last bit of your post 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should maybe make a bump type post as I’m still looking to source saw logs.

I see on reading through threads on here there is lots of mention “£x/ton roadside”z  What does this actually mean ? Is it sitting on an access track in a woodland and I have to find a timber lorry to haul it me? Or is it literally roadside and my Farmer mate can take a dump trailer and fill it for me? And Where do you find someone with said lorry if that’s what I need? And are there any websites besides woodlots.con that I can browse adverts for timbers available at moment?

thanks. Sorry loads of questions I’m Arb so this kind of stuff is new territory for me

10 hours ago, Dan.masterman said:

Thought I should maybe make a bump type post as I’m still looking to source saw logs.

I see on reading through threads on here there is lots of mention “£x/ton roadside”z  What does this actually mean ? Is it sitting on an access track in a woodland and I have to find a timber lorry to haul it me? Or is it literally roadside and my Farmer mate can take a dump trailer and fill it for me? And Where do you find someone with said lorry if that’s what I need? And are there any websites besides woodlots.con that I can browse adverts for timbers available at moment?

thanks. Sorry loads of questions I’m Arb so this kind of stuff is new territory for me

Wood at roadside is stacked at a forest roadside with access to lorries.  Price does not include haulage.
Google "timber hauliers" in your area and give one of them a ring to see what price they charge.  Up here (nw Scotland) timber trucks are normally £75/hr+VAT based on min 2hr hire.  
Word of advice when buying sawlogs, always check out the quality of the logs with your own eyes.  Especially true if you are buying smallish diameter larch/douglas where you are wanting the heartwood.  There can be a huge variation in how much heartwood  there is in a 3.7m log taken from the base of a tree to one taken from further up.
As the old lads here used to tell me.....your eye's your guide and your pocket's your merchant

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

Larch seems to be one of the hardest woods to come by. Douglas Fir is most suitable for your project but my first choice would be larch 

There's plenty of Larch around, i think its more a case of it being sent to licenced processors because of disease.

9 hours ago, bilke_user said:

Wood at roadside is stacked at a forest roadside with access to lorries.  Price does not include haulage.
Google "timber hauliers" in your area and give one of them a ring to see what price they charge.  Up here (nw Scotland) timber trucks are normally £75/hr+VAT based on min 2hr hire.  
Word of advice when buying sawlogs, always check out the quality of the logs with your own eyes.  Especially true if you are buying smallish diameter larch/douglas where you are wanting the heartwood.  There can be a huge variation in how much heartwood  there is in a 3.7m log taken from the base of a tree to one taken from further up.
As the old lads here used to tell me.....your eye's your guide and your pocket's your merchant

Thanks for this, sound advice and good info, really appreciate it