New echo chainsaw (USA)

Stere

• 5 months later...

DCS-1600 has 1.73kW actual OUTPUT (it is shown in service documentation) but also has slightly higher efficiency and highest torque (at the moment).

Marketing boys from all companies could manipulate the consumption-output numbers but Stihl was kind, smart and polite so they removed it from most of the places on the web.

Giving any digits as "granted best", especially for battery saws is misleading the enduser - earlier it was "chain speed" but then again - DCS-1600 is electronically limited over 10kRPM as everything above is very inefficient and there is virtually no torque = no actual cutting at that speed (but a lot of useless heat production). On the paper it looks the slowest but it isn't so in the wood.

All in all DCS-1600 and it's upcoming successor are very much on par with MSA220 (to my surprise too!). 540iXP is a bit ahead speed wise but surely not as much as the price is (rebranded 80PX chain on it is really smooth though). As one can predict, lower voltage motors have lower torque.

Any info on the new cordless X series DCS-3500 v the DCS-1600 you mention above

19 hours ago, Stere said:

Any info on the new cordless X series DCS-3500 v the DCS-1600 you mention above

Yes. It’s been out for a year already.

Looks the same although most of the parts are slightly modified - adopted metal spikes, roller catcher, new way lighter motor & controller.

Powerhead weight went down to 2.88kg which IIRC makes it the lightest in this class.

The throttle feels a bit smoother too over the trigger travel.

• 1 month later...

Work colleague has just picked up one of these last week and seems to like it. I like the power to weight of it and the fact it's simpler than the 50cc class from Stihl/husky which seems to me like more of a tech race.

Just like all Echos though I think the high power and low weight comes at a slight reduction in durability, they seem a bit flimsier with thinner handles etc.

31 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

Work colleague has just picked up one of these last week and seems to like it. I like the power to weight of it and the fact it's simpler than the 50cc class from Stihl/husky which seems to me like more of a tech race.

Just like all Echos though I think the high power and low weight comes at a slight reduction in durability, they seem a bit flimsier with thinner handles etc.

There is not much extra simplicity in comparison except there is one less solenoid block, wire loom and extra power generating unit.

This saves some ~100 grams alone.

The lower weight comes from that and from the engine/crankcase design.

Actually the push-pull pre-filtration system and oil expansion chambers are a bit more advanced than those found on competitor models so except auto-tune there isn't much where is less techy.

Any modern chainsaw model (except those with shady origin) has to pass exactly the same ISO tests for loads from all sides and dropping, so the durability part of the story is a bit of an urban myth.

• Like 1