Level 2 In manually fed woodchipper ops

Tom2020

Just been given my level 2 paper work in operations in a manually woodchipper. Its 8 PAGES LONG of Q & A. Why in the world is it 8 pages long and about 40 questions and i need to get between 2-3 answers on each question.

--quote-- at the end of the day a bit of wood going thru the chipper its common knowledge not to stick your hands or do anything that you shouldent do --quote--

Thats from the tutor on the course It used to be only 2 pages long and a few questions a few years back he also added.

Please some 1 tell me. I must be missing the point why is it so long i have been talking to few people who are qualified and showed them it and half of what is in the paper work you will never do or ever have to learn.Its getting harder and harder to get in to the trade and the paperwork is getting worse and worse the more i do the more paperwork and less practical it gets

No amount of paperwork will ever stop people trying to do silly things with machinery.

Does anyone remember the 'craze' for losing arms in balers? Seemed at one time there was some guy in the paper every week with the story of how he carried his severed arm across the fields.

You could have a paper with 10k questions and people will always chance their luck. It's what the human race does.

• 2 weeks later...
Just been given my level 2 paper work in operations in a manually woodchipper. Its 8 PAGES LONG of Q & A. Why in the world is it 8 pages long and about 40 questions and i need to get between 2-3 answers on each question.

--quote-- at the end of the day a bit of wood going thru the chipper its common knowledge not to stick your hands or do anything that you shouldent do --quote--

Thats from the tutor on the course It used to be only 2 pages long and a few questions a few years back he also added.

Please some 1 tell me. I must be missing the point why is it so long i have been talking to few people who are qualified and showed them it and half of what is in the paper work you will never do or ever have to learn.Its getting harder and harder to get in to the trade and the paperwork is getting worse and worse the more i do the more paperwork and less practical it gets

People just justifying there jobs by amending things and IMO overcomplicating things!!

HSE and blame culture has a lot to answer for imo.

BTW did you know that there are more deaths and injuries from people being hit by loose guards on chippers than actually through the feed hopper. Well it was when I last read about chipper safety.

practical work wins hands down,and by subdividing these courses down ,it makes it more differcult and expensive for employers and employees.Ive been in this trade 30 years and still learning practically wise from older and younger people.you can teach an old dog new tricks!

• 3 months later...

Good new the college cut the funding for the wood chipper. So where start are climbing and aerial rescue The paper work is 4pages long and about 20Q and where climbing every day to pass it I got my test on the 26th of may now looking forword to it

Its not good over all but we where all over the moon that we dident have to do the woodchipper even tho it the most important thing to get Try and see it from a 17 year old lads view 40q night after night looking at them.. Or a smaller paper where 90% of it is climbing the tree and 10% just on the Qs. To the 90% on the Qs and only 10% on the chipper its self practical work will always win over theory Thats how you learn By doing it no reading it