Husqvarna 346 crank seal installation - clutch side.

Toad

Afternoon. What is the best way to install the clutch side crank seal on a 346? I have the proper crank installation tool but I don't think it presses the seal into place far enough.

I've been a clumsy ham fisted fool and pushed one in too far this afternoon. Boo.

Just now, Toad said:

Afternoon. What is the best way to install the clutch side crank seal on a 346? I have the proper crank installation tool but I don't think it presses the seal into place far enough.

I've been a clumsy ham fisted fool and pushed one in too far this afternoon. Boo.

@spudulike  ......

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It is a bastard, you do it with care because those seals are bloody expensive!!

I don't like that tool, it is better for 560s, I prefer my trusty long reach flat ground socket and did I mention....care!!!

Thanks. I should have taken my time and thought harder about it. Fingers crossed the new seal arrives soon and I don't knacker anything else!

The new piston and cylinder arrived from the US in good condition and without extra charges, which was nice.

14 hours ago, spudulike said:

It is a bastard, you do it with care because those seals are bloody expensive!!

I don't like that tool, it is better for 560s, I prefer my trusty long reach flat ground socket and did I mention....care!!!

Deep sockets are a godsend for jobs like this. If you get one that covers the outside of the seal but doesn't fit in the hole so you only go flush that's perfect.

The main issue with the 346 is the crankcase covers half the bearing and makes the stop when inserting the bearing. This makes inserting the seal a sod. You also need the taper boss that allows the seal to pass on to the centre race of the bearing without damaging it or dislodging the spring.

Usually best to try to get the seal in under that alloy lip first so the seal is located well on that side and then get it at a slight angle and tap it in from the unexposed bearing (Bottom) side. Use plenty of grease to help it in.

The factory tool tends to catch on the alloy and cock up insertion.

A long reach socket does it for me every time but it still is a sod of a job on these machines and the cost of the seal is stupidly high!