Lodgepole pine

A bit of newbie when it comes to forestry stuff but its something I really want to learn more about so please be patient with me.

If you had 6 acres of mature lodgepole pine (commercially planted) ready to be to clearfelled what would you do next? Can they be chipped for pulp/stacked and dryed for timber/biomass options/taken as logs to someone for processing/whatever. What kind of value do the options bring in? Is it actually possible to make any money out work on that scale? Could you undertake this work without the use of the big forestry machinery, as in only using chainsaws, small timber trailer (4T ish with crane) and tractor?

Any information welcomed?

A bit of newbie when it comes to forestry stuff but its something I really want to learn more about so please be patient with me.

If you had 6 acres of mature lodgepole pine (commercially planted) ready to be to clearfelled what would you do next? Can they be chipped for pulp/stacked and dryed for timber/biomass options/taken as logs to someone for processing/whatever. What kind of value do the options bring in? Is it actually possible to make any money out work on that scale? Could you undertake this work without the use of the big forestry machinery, as in only using chainsaws, small timber trailer (4T ish with crane) and tractor?

Any information welcomed?

6 acres does not really mean much on its own - first of all survey the site to get an estimate of standing volume and average height and diameter.

Then I would contact the major companies - Scottish Woodlands UPM etc and ask for a roadside price and spec. Also worth talking to local sawmills or users to see if they will take it direct but arranging haulage etc can be a pain. The closer you are to your market the more likely it is to add up.

As far as I know nobody will use pine for pulp but it can be chipped for OSB etc. Be very careful since the pine will rot very quickly once you fell it and will get a blue stain through it in short order which I think renders it unfit for any use other than firewood - don't fell anything you don't have a market for.

Then you will need a felling licence, one condition of which is likely to be that the site is restocked - you or the owner is going to have to figure that into your economics.

As far as making any money with small scale machines - it really depends on the ground you are working over. If it is level and firm, and your machinery reliable then I guess you can make a profit but lodgepole in our area at least (SW Scotland) is typically planted on deep peat and there is no way a small tractor trailer combination can travel the ground. The lodgepole does not make enough brash to run on and you need all wheel drive and low ground pressure as a minimum - once you go through the skin you are in to the axles. If your ground is soft then my advice would be to run away!

I would talk to as many end users as you can identify but I would be a bit careful of taking on a job you are not familiar with - not too many people make a living doing this kind of thing and I assure you it is very hard work.

HTH

Mac

6 Acres will be difficult to make pay. You'll struggle to get a harvesting contractor in on that size job on a tonnage rate as they won't make enough. Harvesting roughly 5.00 a ton with mechanized means forwarding roughly 6.00 a ton mechanized. These are purpose built high speed machines. To do it with smaller kit will take longer so it'll cost more.

The material (depending on size) will be worth between 14.00 and 27.00 a ton at roadside.

Forget Biomass you'll get 6.00 a ton at best although you could sell the brash and tops after harvesting (PM me for details).

I'd be tempted to get the site measured to see what's there then look at you options. You'll probably be better off doing the job on a piecemeal basis and selling it into the firewood market for about 15.00 a ton at roadside.

Richy

As Muldonach says speak to UPM etc. Lodgepole is notoriously hard to market but the local experts will know where to put it. A lot will depend on the site location, access, topography etc. I would suggest if its on a slope needing a skyline miles from a road you could be in trouble! :001_rolleyes:

However assuming descent access etc then for sure contact the pros and see what they can do for you, then its their problem, insurance, hassle. If you where closer to Wales I'd take a look at it for you! :thumbup:

Edited by Pine Marten
moron with grammar?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

been doing some research on all the suggestions and unfortunately its been mainly negative. I am not completely giving up on it yet. My hope was to clearfell about 6 acres over the course of a few months and do it all on a small scale basis. As I assume in most cases doing the work isn't the problem its the logistics. The site is ok and I could work on it but the main problem I've found is access. The only access possible to the site is via a 7.5t limit road. Now I don't know much about forestry but I think its fairly obvious this is a major problem. Would this rule out any kind of economic forestry? I am not looking to make money necessarily but don't want to make a loss. What I am wondering is:

If you turned up at a chip board processor/similar with 4T of average quality lodgepole pine on a timber trailer what would a fair price be? In honesty I have no idea. My hope is £15-£20/ton. Less than that and it would be curtains for this plan.

Any more advice much appreciated. Please feel free to tell me to give it up if what I am asking is madness. Its just a good way for me to get involved with an industry I would like to move towards. Again not looking to financially profit from it but can't take a huge hit on it either. Thanks.