The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

Here's the business end of mine. Wanted to check the blades and re-allign the anvil because the gap was too big. 25 thou / credit card is the gap. What position the drum has to be in to make the measurement is anyones guess but I rotated it to where I imagine the wood presented would meet the blade and anvil i.e kept the feeler blade parallel with the blade chamfer :confused1: Seems to chip nicely enough tho.

20032010462.jpg.90fd8ccc66f96bb27fc8eb0e4b5d8200.jpg

20032010461.jpg.49abe89abed27feee35d85e6bd5affd4.jpg

20032010459.jpg.811ea10a3c9d1ef9d0f189a642e66034.jpg

the wee trailer is a good idea, but most of the stuff will land on the floor rather than in the pick up, i wouldnt fancy running a fourstroke engine at that angle for too long and when you tip the machine back, the rubber deflection guards inside lean forward creating a gap and most of the chip gets spat back out the hopper, but a good idea though:biggrin:

oh and they dont like chipping to the side with the spout turned around, the chip that would usually fall the the floor drops back into the chute and clogs it up:thumbdown::laugh1:

I also find with it you have to let it run for a bit to make sure all the bits are through. Or when you come to start it again it doesn't go around!!! I have already spent a bit of time shoulders deep in the hopper with a stick in my hand!!!!!!!!

you will find the bottom 6-8 inches of the hopper doesnt have any chip at all, because of the draft from the drum, but when you stop it , the stuff makes its way down and jams, it gets worse because you have pulled the drum round a bit. rule of thumb with us, is have a brush with you at all times for pushing stuff through, and before you stop, sweep out the hopper, when it stops, turn off the fuel, tip it back onto the ground and climb in and make sure every little bit is out, if not you can spend hours fixing it if you dont have the right tools with you, if you carry a round bar, like one from a socket set, with the adjustable attachment on it that slides up and down, if you take off the side cover, the pulley has a hole in it, put in the bar and reverse the belts, this throws out the bits of chip. watch out for dead spruce and cony, it doesnt chip well and blocks up the spout, dont turn off the chipper, brush out all the stuff from the hopper that will build up, and then get a brush shaft ot handle and put it down the spout end and loosen up the chip, watching not to catch the blades, once it starts to erupt out bit by bit, stick another bit of stuff through the chipper and it will throw out the blockage.