Rust treatment

David Lawrence 88

I use Dinitrol. It's a product that OEM manufacturers use for corrosion protection and i've been using it for land rover chassis and trailers etc. They do loads of different types, soft waxy stuff or hard stone chip type just up to you about what you want. 

Clear the loose rust off

Treat with RC900 (rust converter) so it doesn't come back as tiny pin pricks of corrosion will root

Overcoat with 4941 for a soft, self healing finish or 4942 if you want a hard stone chip resistant one.

If you have any cavities you can either us ML or 3125HS, both are a cavity wax. ML has more penetration so seals joints but 3125 has more solids so gives more protection. 

It's not cheap stuff but it goes a long way and will last the life of the vehicle unlike waxoil which needs re-doing

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, David Lawrence 88 said:

Hi

i pulled the liner out of my pickup bed to have a look

its been treated with waxoly type thing

In the past 

Not bad at all Bit of surface rust and one nasty bit by wheel arch

for now I just want to keep rust at bay

what would you use?

thanks

Hammerite wax oil spry(Black) £9 a can easy to use.

Well you either do as paddy says, but you will need to clean off all the old waxoyl before you can put rust converter type stuff on, so probably a pressure wash with detergent, or

Just spray it with some lanolin based anti-rust stuff I like fluid film as it always comes out of the tin without blocking the nozzle, just spray it on and get on with other more interesting life things.

4 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Hammerite wax oil spry(Black) £9 a can easy to use.

Agreed. Preceded by cleaning back the rust with a power wire brush, either on small angle grinder or in drill chuck. Also ensure metal is utterly dry before application. Suggest heat the area with fan heater etc - at this time of year you will see a small layer of moisture become apparent as it dries off.