Growing Christmas trees, species and nanagement

drinksloe

Alright.

Just wondering if many folk have any knowledge or experience of growing 'proper' Christmas trees.

Got some wee scraps of ground and thinking might work planting a few Christmas trees.

Just thought might be a wee bit extra for Christmas in a few years time and use up some ground that is off no use to anything else

Just wondering wot folk think are the best species?

Area is in SW Scotland and about 250-300m, some is decent free draining soil althou 1 place is wetter soil.

I see all sorts are mentioned nordman, Frazer, Grand firs, etc plus some more normal tree species Scots and lodgepole pines.

Wot sort of spacings do u plant them at, standard 2m or larger 3m matrix?

Is there much management? Trimming and shaping the trees

There is a lot of work and they are difficult to sell, we have about 25 acres of Norway , lodgepole with a smaller amounts of Fraser and blue spruce ....sold about 250 this year , main buyers held off due to covid so missed 1k plus trees going out , some never came at all but if your selling to the public and are near some where accessible you could make money as you miss out the middle men but certainly not a fortune and to be honest it’s a bit taxing after working all week to spend the weekend tending people’s needs with trees coming up to Christmas!
I don’t think we have even broke even if I take my time in too consideration with the evenings and weekends Mowing with the billy goat down the lines , then there is trimming them , Nordman seem what folk want as well really but our ground won’t grow them and to be honest sticking loads of fertilisers and hormone treatment on them is not really my thing as the run off would go in to sssi and speaking to the folk who want to pick and choose they are happy knowing they are getting some thing a bit more environmentally friendly.
IMG_3628.jpg

• Like 1

I've not got personal experience In growing Christmas trees but the farmer on my shoot does and he sells them off each year. If you want the "gold standard" in Christmas trees it's the Nordmann Fir, thick dense trees with heavily spined branches. Extremely good needle retention to the point they are almost "no drop" with almost no scent and they are child and pet friendly

About that for a 5-6 for a Norway obviously a lot less if wholesale and more if nordman but that’s the other thing .. dealing with a lot of sharks!! Bit like buying and selling timber , there are sound folk to deal with and some who will bite so be wary.

Won't be anywhere near ur scale Matty, quite literally just a few scrappy corners 

Got a bit off ground under power lines too that's good for nothing else ( not sure wot power company will say about that thou)

Hopefully if I could get 50 away a year would be all I'm looking for if that.

Just a wee hobby and a bit extra money.

A landowner 2p mile down the road used to do a bit but seemingly hes ripping up wot's left of his crop this spring.

I work my dogs on that estate but been a longtime since been in his christmas tree fields. His daughter is meant to be taking over the estate.

Think he was charging 50 quid for his smallest/cheapest trees.

Would 5-6 ft trees transplant ok if I could get my hands on some?

Wot type of soil are u on matty that nordman won't grow?

Still got a lot off home work to do yet

Edited by drinksloe

Won't be anywhere near ur scale Matty, quite literally just a few scrappy corners 
Got a bit off ground under power lines too that's good for nothing else ( not sure wot power company will say about that thou)

Hopefully if I could get 50 away a year would be all I'm looking for if that.
Just a wee hobby and a bit extra money.
A landowner 2p mile down the road used to do a bit but seemingly hes ripping up wot's left of his crop this spring.
I work my dogs on that estate but been a longtime since been in his christmas tree fields. His daughter is meant to be taking over the estate.

Wot type of soil are u on matty that nordman won't grow?
Still got a lot off home work to do yet

It’s probably more bog than soil , but clay , I’ve got about 100 in on a test bit but half died and the surviving trees they have not moved in two years 12” max !! where as the frazers seem to tolerate the ground and put on very good growth.
Could be worth a go , the smaller the block the better really as you can give them more time and care... There was a lad Daniel on the forum who knows a lot about growing Christmas trees as to be honest I haven’t got a clue really ! Just delving in too something that could offer us income for the farm when I’m too knacked to climb trees any more.
We have always grown a small plantation of Norway’s since I was a kid and it’s ok if you enjoy growing things... what I’ve got now is a bit bigger and I’m probably going to let half of it grow on for timber and display trees as there are a few blocks pushing 15ft now and where very badly spaced and not trimmed.