Husqvarna 236 won’t idle

Treerover

I reckon that the spring will be the issue. Fitting it can be an interesting experience. A bench vice and assembling the bottom half before putting it in to the vice helps. Mole grips usually come in to getting the spring back in to position. Make sure that the spring isn't bent or damaged when fitting, the first one is usually an experience. Once the spring is in the bottom half and in a vice, push the spring in to the top clutch shoe, clamp it with the mole grips and then I usually lift the shoe with a screw driver whilst forcing the spring in to the shoe with plumbers grips. 

I am sure ADW has a factory tool for the job, bless him but us mere mortals use hammers[emoji6].......and take the ridicule and abuse!!

I am thinking the spring is pretty shot and is allowing the clutch to be always engaged thus the stalling when the brake is applied.
The most obvious is usually the route cause.

Well yes you were right on both counts.
Fitting new spring in a wood with rudimentary tools was interesting but between two of us we nailed it relatively quickly and now the little saw jogs on a treat.
Possibly only going to be any good for sitting next to the chipper but it’s not bad for a freebie.
Thanks for your sage advice once again Spuddles 🥔
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Spud if you ever write a book on chainsaw trouble shooting, repair and maintenance I'd buy it. Happy Christmas. 

I would just read through my "Whats on your Bench" thread and it will give you a good idea of how I diagnose issues. I have changed some of the way I work over the years plus have gained more experience though......nothing stands still!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Treerover said:

Well yes you were right on both counts.
Fitting new spring in a wood with rudimentary tools was interesting but between two of us we nailed it relatively quickly and now the little saw jogs on a treat.
Possibly only going to be any good for sitting next to the chipper but it’s not bad for a freebie.
Thanks for your sage advice once again Spuddles 🥔

Thanks for letting us know, glad it worked out and I can stick another notch on the bench!

Those springs are a bit interesting to fit, never found an easier way than the method I described.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know, glad it worked out and I can stick another notch on the bench!
Those springs are a bit interesting to fit, never found an easier way than the method I described.

I used a pair of surgical fishing forceps and some side cutters gently holding each end. We each had a pair and wrestled the two ends like a pair of mating Grebes !! 🤣

On 17 December 2020 at 19:01, spudulike said:

I reckon that the spring will be the issue. Fitting it can be an interesting experience. A bench vice and assembling the bottom half before putting it in to the vice helps. Mole grips usually come in to getting the spring back in to position. Make sure that the spring isn't bent or damaged when fitting, the first one is usually an experience. Once the spring is in the bottom half and in a vice, push the spring in to the top clutch shoe, clamp it with the mole grips and then I usually lift the shoe with a screw driver whilst forcing the spring in to the shoe with plumbers grips. 

I am sure ADW has a factory tool for the job, bless him but us mere mortals use hammers😉.......and take the ridicule and abuse!!

I am thinking the spring is pretty shot and is allowing the clutch to be always engaged thus the stalling when the brake is applied.

The most obvious is usually the route cause.

I do, I have three different jigs I had from prodution, I will try to take some pictures of them when I finish putting a starter cord in this crappy chinese generator, it looks like road kill at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1