Preferred Tool For Sharpen Your Axe ????

Witterings

If I was going to try and get a half decent Bill Hook ... any idea what I should get ... as I said earlier in teh thread the neighbours just went through the Xmas treee like butter and whilst I do have a really cheap one that I nearly threw away as it was so blunt (not now) but even that I found was way better at chopping smallish very dry logs into kindling sizes than my small axe.
That coupled with when I commented on how good the neighbiurs was he said it has a lot to do with each individual one and you really want one of the older ones ... he's a real tool geek.

Just as a passing comment re sharpening tools as well, I thought my file was shot and was looking for a new one when I saw links to file cards which I'd never heard of before. I had an unused BBQ wire brush to hand so tried using that and it totally transformed my file to virtually as new.

It's definitely got to be an old Bill Hook that you need to get if you want good quality and cutting ability. I don't think specific make is that important, as long as it's old. I personally have always like Brades tools;- good steel that sharpens to a very sharp edge easily and holds it. I'm sure any of the other makes would be equally good though, it's probably just personal preference. Lots of others to choose from:- Ewell, Nash, Whitehouse, Harrison, Swift etc..Any of those would be vastly better than the modem crap.
There looks to be quite a few on eBay, though not as cheap and plentiful as they once were a few years back.

That’s the issue!
Modern stuff is really badly made.
For a pound at your local car boot you can get a nice old head.
Yes it’s an art form handling axes.
(I just push a stick through)[emoji848]
That’s why they’re so cheap.
The way I see it though is hand tools never need petrol or charging.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
And they keep you fit!
  • Like 1