Budget Mill

Paddy1000111

Hi Everyone, 

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I am either too dumb to find it on here or google or I'm not looking in the right place. I recently cut down a 50 year old chestnut for some family and they wanted to have it milled so they can do something with it in the future instead of feeding it into the fire. I don't own a chainsaw mill so I am looking for the cheapest option possible as whilst I love woodwork I won't be using it often. I don't however want to by something that's so rubbish it's a pain to use. I may use it in the future or get into chainsaw milling but for now I need something that will mill 23-25" timber? 

Failing this, is there anyone in the Dorset/Bridport area that fancies doing some cash in hand milling? Should be a pretty quick job! 

• Like 1

Have you got something with a 36" bar? That's basically what you need to mill 25" as you lose a bit each end in clamps.

I bought an EcoMill from RobD, does the job OK. I've not had many stems to mill so the price/performance is fine. Also bought lopro 36" bar so as not to have to buy a 661. I figured that cost less than paying someone with a mill.

• Like 2

Well this is the issue that I am going through... I only have a 261 at the moment. I need to get a 661 anyway but now is not the time. I realised I don't have anything big enough whilst looking through ecomill. I was hoping to get a 25" .325 skip chain and just go slow as it's a one off but like you say I'm going to be losing the length with the clamps... So now for the setup I'll be looking at £1200 with the saw then. 

I guess I'll go back to the backup. Anyone fancy some milling ?. One section is about 12ft long and 24" across. The other is about 10ft long and about 14" across? 

7 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Get an eco mill off Rob.d as Dan suggests.
They are a very accurate cut.
What saw are you using?
emoji106.png

As above, this is the issue. I want to use my 261 as it's not going to cost me. I am going to get a 661 soon but I wasn't planning on doing it this month! The timings are never right! ?

Well this is the issue that I am going through... I only have a 261 at the moment. I need to get a 661 anyway but now is not the time. I realised I don't have anything big enough whilst looking through ecomill. I was hoping to get a 25" .325 skip chain and just go slow as it's a one off but like you say I'm going to be losing the length with the clamps... So now for the setup I'll be looking at £1200 with the saw then. 

I guess I'll go back to the backup. Anyone fancy some milling [emoji23]. One section is about 12ft long and 24" across. The other is about 10ft long and about 14" across? 

Get an 881 if you plan to mill more after.
The 661 is a great saw, but compared to the torque of an 8 series it’s not in the same league.
A 661 is limited to 28-30” max cut.
An 881 will do 74”+.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Horse or Sweet ?  K

Horse I believe but I don't really remember (I should have noted) I just turned up and had to take the thing down with a building one quarter, a greenhouse another quarter and powerlines on another quarter... The things you do for family eigh! 

• Sad 1