Was a tree - wood ID please.

Hi, I have 3 old beams that were 'holding up' my house prior to some renovations last year.  I'm trying to identify what wood they are, if possible.  I was told (by my builders - who are no tree surgeons) that they might be Elm, but being around 90 years old and 'worn', I'd like some other well informed guesses please.  I'm guessing all 3 beams are the same wood - I've only shown pics of the small one but have pics of the other two as well.

DSC05855.JPG

DSC05856.JPG

DSC05857.JPG

DSC05858.JPG

DSC05859.JPG

DSC05860.JPG

DSC05861.JPG

DSC05862.JPG

16 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

oak all the way...

Quercus robur is the most common species found in houses.

I was going to say Oak but needed you to say it first !  I have a beam that I put up as a mantle years ago when I had an open fire . Took it down when I fitted the log burner .  ( I still have it ) I seem to remember it was sold to me as French Oak . How you tell I'm not sure .

• Like 1

Knocked some old lime based plaster off for a lad a few years ago with intensions or replastering the room for him, solid walls nearly two foot thick, caught the edge of his “solid wood lintel” with my hilti, chuffing thing disintegrated on me!!! [emoji15] when i got more of the plaster off i could see it was littered with tiny holes [emoji33] stuck corner of my bonding float in to it and it just dropped in bits, flakey powdery all over its full length!!! He replaced it with a steel. lucky lad cos it was on a big old gable end! Made me unnervey whilst i was knocking rest of room off! ?[emoji90]

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 09:28, TuscanPhil said:

Hi, I have 3 old beams that were 'holding up' my house prior to some renovations last year.  I'm trying to identify what wood they are, if possible.  I was told (by my builders - who are no tree surgeons) that they might be Elm, but being around 90 years old and 'worn', I'd like some other well informed guesses please.  I'm guessing all 3 beams are the same wood - I've only shown pics of the small one but have pics of the other two as well.

DSC05855.JPG

DSC05856.JPG

DSC05857.JPG

DSC05858.JPG

DSC05859.JPG

DSC05860.JPG

DSC05861.JPG

DSC05862.JPG

What are you going to use them for?

1 hour ago, se7enthdevil said:

What are you going to use them for?

No plans for them in my ownership - currently on eBay, ending tonight (might be asking too much - who knows?)  One is 4', one is 8'8" and one is 11'5".  I could always try and mill them into smaller 'slabs' and sell them as 'floating' mantlepieces??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TuscanPhil said:

No plans for them in my ownership - currently on eBay, ending tonight (might be asking too much - who knows?)  One is 4', one is 8'8" and one is 11'5".  I could always try and mill them into smaller 'slabs' and sell them as 'floating' mantlepieces??

PM me the link.

i might be interested.