recomdations on a new saw please

petespeed

1 minute ago, Echo said:

Theres some German test body that passes the saws for use there, I cant find the link as its ages since I read it, but the figures for that saw were the worst regarding emmisions.

Blimey . Does it meet the spec though ?  Must I suppose or they could not sell it .

1 minute ago, DCS6800i said:

Dolmar is now... as you've already said - they are still basic mechanical saws. There's no Auto tune or electric gizmos (except the ignition coil).

Solid, reliable work horses. They are long stroke engines which don't run as fast as Husky, but they have a reserve of torque not much can match

Thats why I like them, long stroke compared to some of the modern saws,

and as you say, slower revving by a little, but this does not hurt a saw in the cut,

especially if its a long cut, and if in hard wood its better again, instead of hopping

and buzzing at high speed doing nothing with these high rmp machines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Blimey . Does it meet the spec though ?  Must I suppose or they could not sell it .

Oh it must meet whatever criteria is expected, but with all the modern tech onboard

I just dont understand why its not a cleaner saw regarding emmisions.

2 minutes ago, Echo said:

Oh it must meet whatever criteria is expected, but with all the modern tech onboard

I just dont understand why its not a cleaner saw regarding emmisions.

Oh , So its not the most poluting saw out there then , if you include older saws , pre A/T or Mtronic .

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Oh , So its not the most poluting saw out there then , if you include older saws , pre A/T or Mtronic .

I think the articele compared the 500i with the new saws like the 572 

and an Echo, which would be a carb saw. I wish I had the link.

It listed everything, like stroke, bore, cc, kw, hp, fuel consumption

and the emission figures, and the 462 was listed too.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCS6800i said:

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Makita are Dolmar... which are German.

Infact, they are the #1 selling chainsaw in Germany!

Well, then I live in ignorance. Like I said, apart from picking one up in the store, finding it plasticy and putting it back, I don't have any experience with them. I don't take which are the no.1 selling chainsaws into consideration personally. If you type in UK no.1 selling chainsaw they try and sell you a 1.3kw Einhell followed by a bosch plug in. Other websites suggest a P1PE, a no name 50cc chainsaw or a hyundai. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy a load of extension leads or my carb adjustment screwdriver set for those weird Chinese carbs before heading up a tree. 

I'm not saying Makita/Dolmar aren't any good at all. I'm sure they're fantastic saws. I'm just saying that if I'm buying something to make money from I'm going to buy a Stihl or Husky just because their pro range is tried and tested, they're well designed with there's loads of info online, massive parts availability, loads of tech support so I can just take it into a shop and have it fixed and a good resell value if I need it gone... When you compare a 6100 with a stihl Ms362 (same CC class, the makita being 2cc more) the MS362 is more powerful, Weighs less, it's quieter and it has considerably lower vibration levels (which matters if this is your career). I'm sure they're great saws but being the best selling in Germany doesn't make them the best on the market. 

3 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, then I live in ignorance. Like I said, apart from picking one up in the store, finding it plasticy and putting it back, I don't have any experience with them. I don't take which are the no.1 selling chainsaws into consideration personally. If you type in UK no.1 selling chainsaw they try and sell you a 1.3kw Einhell followed by a bosch plug in. Other websites suggest a P1PE, a no name 50cc chainsaw or a hyundai. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy a load of extension leads or my carb adjustment screwdriver set for those weird Chinese carbs before heading up a tree. 

I'm not saying Makita/Dolmar aren't any good at all. I'm sure they're fantastic saws. I'm just saying that if I'm buying something to make money from I'm going to buy a Stihl or Husky just because their pro range is tried and tested, they're well designed with there's loads of info online, massive parts availability, loads of tech support so I can just take it into a shop and have it fixed and a good resell value if I need it gone... When you compare a 6100 with a stihl Ms362 (same CC class, the makita being 2cc more) the MS362 is more powerful, Weighs less, it's quieter and it has considerably lower vibration levels (which matters if this is your career). I'm sure they're great saws but being the best selling in Germany doesn't make them the best on the market. 

That does not say much for the 6100 as the ms362 is a heavy gutless door stop ! ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Echo said:

To @petespeed  , you are going from a very small saw to a power house if

you settle on the Makita or Dolamr 7900 saws, be very carefull, them things

will send you backways in a hurry if you get kicked out of the cut.

thanks echo yes i know what your saying there a very powerful saw , i work with machinery every day , but not chainsaws , i will be treating it with the respect it deserves, thankyou for the heads up mate 

13 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Parts are no good to you for your Stihl, you first need a computer to tell you

which part is gone wrong, so that means going to a dealer, and are you going

to leave the dealer then taking your saw with you to find the part, probably not,

your going to pay more to get the Stihl fixed at the dealers, which I have no gripe with, but you could save by fixing your own Makita, and it probably

wouldnt break in the first place.

I have had both the MS362 MT and the Makita EA6000,

they really are different animals, the Makita has more power,

has a very good cooling system, and is very easy to clean down,

especially under the top cover, it also starts easier every time.

The MS362 wouldnt even start withoug a serious tugging match,

it was so bad, I didnt even take it to work, I sold it at a big loss,

as I did not fancy trying to convince the dealer it had problems,

I would be told to leave it in, wait, wait wait, then I would be told it was fine,

then repeat, so no, I got rid of it right away, its also quite a mess under the

hood to try and clean, no doubt is was a better balanced and a little lighter,

but sitting in the shed because it was a pig to start wasnt going to cut wood.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Echo said:

Parts are no good to you for your Stihl, you first need a computer to tell you

which part is gone wrong, so that means going to a dealer, and are you going

to leave the dealer than taking your saw with you to find the part, probably not,

your going to pay more to get the Stihl fixed at the dealers, which I have no gripe with,

but you could save by fixing your own Makita.

I have had both the MS362 MT and the Makita EA6000,

they really are different animals, the Makita has more power,

has a very good cooling system, and is very easy to clean down,

especially under the top cover, it also starts easier every time.

The MS362 wouldnt even start withoug a serious tugging match,

it was so bad, I didnt even take it to work, I sold it at a big loss,

as I did not fancy trying to convince the dealer it had problems,

I would be told to leave it in, wait, wait wait, then I would be told it was fine,

then repeat, so no, I got rid of it right away, its also quite a mess under the

hood to try and clean, no doubt is was a better balanced and a little lighter,

but sitting in the shed because it was a pig to start wasnt going to cut wood.

Sounds like you've had a bad time... It's all personal experience at the end of the day. So far my MS261c-m hasn't given me any trouble in 3 years ownership. Updated the M-tronic system myself for £13 with a new fuel solenoid, filter etc etc. Say you have a 201T and the mtronic fails and there's an issue then a full kit from stihl is under £50 for a new flywheel, carb and ignition unit. Mtronic isn't the super brainbox that everyone made it out to be and it's worked well for me so far. I have a powerful saw that basically cares for itself.

On the front of Stihl repairs I don't have any experience with it. I went in with my 200t and they fixed it FOC, never needed it outside of that. On the other hand I have repaired a Makita blower for someone that took over £70 of parts and I had to hunt around as parts availability was nil. 

I'm not dissing makita, it's horses for courses... I know what I like and where my loyalties lie from my experience. When I went to buy a Makita there was less support and it's not as easy getting parts. They just seemed like a compromise to me, not a cheapo saw but not the high spec I expect of a pro saw.

Anyway, this guy wanted advice on what to get, I would go with the Makita