PPE ratings a Question

Robbie260

Hello gents have first post so go gently, I have recently bought my first chain saw and Efco Mt3710 and its a nice little saw I thought i had bought the relevant class 1 ppe to go with it but I have been reading the spec sheet and its says at 133% the speed is 24m/s if this is the no load speed would this mean I should actually have class 2 ppe? 

Also while I was out and about one of the dealers tried to sell me a a stihl ms261, cracking saw and what I'd go for or something similar if I ever needed to upgrade not sure I will though. Any way while looking through the specs it stated a no load speed of 25m/s chain speed making it class 3 ppe but a loaded chain speed of 19m/s which would only make it class 1 what is the class of ppe it actually requires just out of interest?

To sum up above what speed rating do you use to determine the ppe required? On load or off load? For now I'm thinking I have messed up a little and gotten the wrong grade of ppe. 

Edited by Robbie260

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Worth considering:

Invest (at least) as much in yourself (training & build experience) as you do your equipment. 

PPE may lessen the adverse effect of an accident but confidence, care, strength, focus and knowledge is the best combination to avoid one. 

Thanks much appreciated Kevin I have a course booked and will be going on it soon. I have a friend who is a forester and fencer and he has offered too teach me the basics on safety for now. I know all to well the best way to avoid an accident is know whats going on and don't do something silly, primary occupation is a marine engineer where staying safe is paramount as help can be a very long way away.

Edited by Robbie260
  • Like 3

In domestic tree surgery I've not seen anyone with anything but class 1, I guess it's on the basis we know it's not going to stop a full bore saw but will slow it down in the event of mishap. As far as I understand the more regulated tree work environments such as rail, forestry are more likely to require particular class PPE but others can advise you there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbie260 said:

Thanks echo that helps alot, for now I'm airing on the side of caution and assuming the no load speed determine the ppe rating. 

That seems logical, as there’s no way to rule out the possibility of

an accident happening at high speed, so that high speed must be

taken into account when designing the PPE, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression PPE was inadequate either way.

Climbing trousers were 22m/s and an MS200t was 24m/s.

So even if you had the correctly advised PPE it still would not be rated to the smallest climbing saw we used to use.  

Best PPE is correct technique.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

I was always under the impression PPE was inadequate either way.

Climbing trousers were 22m/s and an MS200t was 24m/s.

So even if you had the correctly advised PPE it still would not be rated to the smallest climbing saw we used to use.  

Best PPE is correct technique.

The ‘downside’ to PPE is that it emboldens the incompetent and affords protection to the careless thus prolonging their presence in the workplace / world.  

What is truly staggering is where blind adherence to‘procedure’ and ‘PPE’ actually make things MORE difficult and potentially dangerous than  assessing them OUT of the equation. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 2