Timber trailer advice needed

Morning Gents ! 
I’m after some advice regarding a new timber trailer. I work for a large private estate in Dorset with extensive hardwood and softwood forestry blocks. We are due to start our first and second thinning programs soon plus opening some other areas up. Which will require us to shift large quantities of timber to roadside stacking areas ready and presented for collection.

We have an 1164 county with winch and Ford 6610 tractor which will hopefully pull the new trailer. Iv been looking at around 8ton mark is this an ok size ? Ones that stand out are KTS, Botex and kellfri.

which controls do you recommend ? Obviously cab mounted controls would be a plus. Also anything else you can think of to recommend would be great. 

Regards 

7CD90D51-E0B6-4F25-821B-5C4FADB66859.jpeg

24110EEC-59A6-4A23-9A55-36CCA0F5D0D9.png

D47A9A74-E34E-4C64-B879-D2241652CB1A.png

Edited by guiton
Add pictures
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, guiton said:

Morning Gents ! 
I’m after some advice regarding a new timber trailer. I work for a large private estate in Dorset with extensive hardwood and softwood forestry blocks. We are due to start our first and second thinning programs soon plus opening some other areas up. Which will require us to shift large quantities of timber to roadside stacking areas ready and presented for collection.

We have an 1164 county with winch and Ford 6610 tractor which will hopefully pull the new trailer. Iv been looking at around 8ton mark is this an ok size ? Ones that stand out are KTS, Botex and kellfri.

which controls do you recommend ? Obviously cab mounted controls would be a plus. Also anything else you can think of to recommend would be great. 

Regards 

My 9 tonne moheda with greedy pins can just carry 2 bays of 2.4m (8ft). About 5 tonnes of softwood and up to 7.5 tonnes of a heavy hardwood in thinnings. Without a reversing seat it would be a pain in thinnings if you want to move 50 or 60m3 in a normal working day. I wouldn't dream of having to get out and operate crane from the trailer, both from convenience and safety. When I was cutting and extracting and only doing 10 tonne a day not having a reversing seat was just about acceptable for a young man but a real pain in the neck now.

Nowadays I would want to use a reverse drive tractor or small forwarder but definitely a 40kph box if returning to base each day. In the day I left machines on site, suffered a fair amount of vandalism as a result, so wouldn't feel keen to do it nowadays.

Common knowledge  (2 joystick with buttons) controls are de rigueur nowadays though I remain more adept with six levers.

My 9 tonne moheda with greedy pins can just carry 2 bays of 2.4m (8ft). About 5 tonnes of softwood and up to 7.5 tonnes of a heavy hardwood in thinnings. Without a reversing seat it would be a pain in thinnings if you want to move 50 or 60m3 in a normal working day. I wouldn't dream of having to get out and operate crane from the trailer, both from convenience and safety. When I was cutting and extracting and only doing 10 tonne a day not having a reversing seat was just about acceptable for a young man but a real pain in the neck now.

Nowadays I would want to use a reverse drive tractor or small forwarder but definitely a 40kph box if returning to base each day. In the day I left machines on site, suffered a fair amount of vandalism as a result, so wouldn't feel keen to do it nowadays.

Common knowledge  (2 joystick with buttons) controls are de rigueur nowadays though I remain more adept with six levers.

That’s great Thankyou, do you have a adjustable drawbar for getting around tighter plantations? What pulls and powers your 9T ? I don’t want to get something that’s going to struggle with the 80hp 6610.

Cheers

1 hour ago, guiton said:

do you have a adjustable drawbar for getting around tighter plantations?

No and though I know it is useful I generally managed, it was just turning into and out of racks where I had problems

1 hour ago, guiton said:

What pulls and powers your 9T ?

1974 County 1164 with rotating seat and FMV290 grapple loader, I never felt it needed more power but then I never transported timber on the road (trailer has no brakes).

I notice in your opening post you don’t mention Mowi, these are the only cranes with true parallel movement. They also come with slewing drawbar as standard which imho is essential, particularly in thinning work. I operate an (8 t) one on my valmet 865 (90hp) and also a Botex 8090(12t?) on a Valtra 123N, I prefer the Mowi...... it’s just smoother to use and they lift much more than they look like they will!
Hope this is helpful
John

• Like 1

I notice in your opening post you don’t mention Mowi, these are the only cranes with true parallel movement. They also come with slewing drawbar as standard which imho is essential, particularly in thinning work. I operate an (8 t) one on my valmet 865 (90hp) and also a Botex 8090(12t?) on a Valtra 123N, I prefer the Mowi...... it’s just smoother to use and they lift much more than they look like they will!
Hope this is helpful
John

Thanks John sorry to ask but what’s true parallel movement? Also do they have a uk dealer you’d recommend.
Many thanks

Fuelwood Warwick are the dealer (and very good after sales/ knowledge)
Parallel movement is when you are carrying out more than one action with the crane, in simplest terms, with most cranes if, for example, you lift and slew at the same time one action will slow the other down but with the Mowi cranes you can basically 2 or more actions at once without one dominating.
I’ve had colleagues say it doesn’t make a difference but then hav a go and say ‘ahh I get it now’

7 minutes ago, timbernut said:

Parallel movement is when you are carrying out more than one action with the crane, in simplest terms, with most cranes if, for example, you lift and slew at the same time one action will slow the other down but with the Mowi cranes you can basically 2 or more actions at once without one dominating.

I gather modern forwarders computers  do the same thing with a conventional configuration.

I only used a Mowi 300 mounted on the TP 12" chipper and that was controlled off one joystick, I cannot remember how the functions worked  and as it was toward the end of my working life took a bit of learning but it was surprising how well it worked but for the problem of not seeing the mouth of the feed chute.