Newbie looking for advice

landrover 101

But what are you going to be doing exactaly? Those tickets will cover you for ground work and felling but all you will end up doing is knackin connys and small stuff, what about climbing work, most tree work involves climbing to some degree, also not all tree work is felling, what about pruning work, crown lifting etc etc, if you get someone in all the time you wont make much money.

connys and small stuff will do me to get started the rest of the tickets i will look to take as and when i get around to it and as i gain experience and knowledge commercially - will hope to do a couple more within 6 months of the first couple depending on which ones i can do reasonably nearby as bishop burton college only does 30/31 and 32 so for the rest i will have to travel further to take them.

Personally if the college near you offers a one day a week or fortnightly Arb course i think it would be money extremely well spent. Then there's a lower risk of you doing a bad job and subsequently damaging your companies reputation? Also its another ticket you can show you potential customer if they ask for you credentials. Just my opinion tho.:corkysm21:

no offence mate but its not as easy as get a landrover and trailer and go and knock connys down. i have had my company for 8 years. my insurance is costing me £1500 pounds a year, we have all our tickets, waste dissposal licence, public liabilty insurance etc, etc, you nshould try and get a job working for a company and get some experience. a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Look in books. Feel the trees. find your feet then enjoy the rides!

Keep a passion for the tree & build on that!

No need for law as long as you know what is right is right. I think you prob do as you wouldn't have posted if you didn't!

If the tree police catch up with you then that is prob coz of bad practice!! So learn your passion n don't take the piss!!!

Again, feel the trees :)

• 1 year later...
Look in books. Feel the trees. find your feet then enjoy the rides!

Keep a passion for the tree & build on that!

No need for law as long as you know what is right is right. I think you prob do as you wouldn't have posted if you didn't!

If the tree police catch up with you then that is prob coz of bad practice!! So learn your passion n don't take the piss!!!

Again, feel the trees :)

smoking herbal are we?

As many above would advise working for someone else for a while. Hard to learn on your own. Getting the feeling from you though that you are probably not going to follow that advise. So realistically as someone else has said, getting on a part-time arb course will do you a world of good. It's one thing reading it in a book, but that knowledge on its own can confuse you to the point of doing bad work.

It's a surprisingly small industry when you get down to it, and the name you make for yourself when you start might come back and bite you later on, and you may not even realise it's happening. If someone phones you to quote a job pruning trees and you come across as not knowing why or how or even what species, why would they bother phoning

you again?

Plenty of lads on here advertise for lads on a casual basis, I'd suggest at least jumping in with them a few times at least. You sound like you genuinely want to offer a good service to your customers. Best of luck with it whatever way you decide to go.