Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

:confused1:

If this is the case, why start the thread with the question you did???????:confused1:

The title of the thread should have been................ Look another of my blinding jobs, bet you all wish you were as good as me!!! :001_smile:

because I was just venting my utter fustration at what a client asks for and the conflicts within me of having not understood them fully, that is my failing, but I recognise that you will NEVER please SOME folk, though in this case i may have done something to alter the product. I hate getting it wrong, i normaly work it out suss out what laymen mean when they say what they say. this time i got it wrong, and i was dissapointed inm myself more than anything else

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamadryad,

I also do not think that you are using the word Phototrophic in the right context. Limbs do not "go phototrophic".

I have only come across the word phototrophic when considering bacteria. Where are you referencing that phrase from?

This is not an attack on your manner or work or knowledge. I am interested. You sound like an intelligent man, and I think you are reading too much into some of the replies. I dont see anyone actually attacking you, just holding you to account what you say in a public forum.

Remain professional in your replies. We all accept your job spec, we all have different ideas on what could have been done. But you are confusing people with your very defensive tone and possibly mis-referenced biological language.

Thanks

thats bread and butter reduction, and you ALL know it, so stop talking utter crap!

it looked more like a reduction with excessive thinig that has caused lion tailing , i totally understand that what the customer asks for the customer is meant to get BUT i do find if verry hard to agree with .

If the customer were to ask you to wear spikes whilst doing the reduction would you do it ?? im not aiming this question at you in specific its aimed generally,

They felt you hadnt done enough, so do you feel they may go to another contractor next time?

I think the problem arose by the fact that another climber with the same company had done a similar job to a purple beech at the other end of the garden, initially and back to reprune a couple of times. The guy probably takes a bit more off and maybe cleans the middle out. so they expected an end result, but that guy didn't turn up. I did.

Just goes to show the ART side of things Kev mentioned. Each climber can be given a spec and each will interpret the task differently and have various outcomes.

They paid, I got paid, owner of company happy, so am I.

Hamadryad,

I also do not think that you are using the word Phototrophic in the right context. Limbs do not "go phototrophic".

I have only come across the word phototrophic when considering bacteria. Where are you referencing that phrase from?

This is not an attack on your manner or work or knowledge. I am interested. You sound like an intelligent man, and I think you are reading too much into some of the replies. I dont see anyone actually attacking you, just holding you to account what you say in a public forum.

Remain professional in your replies. We all accept your job spec, we all have different ideas on what could have been done. But you are confusing people with your very defensive tone and possibly mis-referenced biological language.

Thanks

I cannot for the life of me understand how you have not come across this terminology for describing a limb that has deviated from its natural form? I will endevour to find a few references to it, shouldnt be hard iether.

Your spot on with proffesional replies, and thanks for that, i do tend to treat this in a less than formal manner and I do need to change this if I am going to avoid much of this benign stuff! not in reference to you!

I think a LOT of us could do with adjusting our TONE in postings! it leads to all kinds of shannanigans!

The three lower limbs HAD gone phototropic, in other words had begun to over elongate and change orientation to captialise on light.

due to be the lower limbs and faced with shading on all fronts except out and up!

not an over use of the word, FACT

May be out of context here as keep losing my connection,

Nice try Hamad. phototrophic means ‘light feeding’, the branch and the tree is already phototrophic, not ‘gone phototrophic’. For ‘light seeking’ we need another word. Not your changing of the meaning of a word in order to make yourself appear important. – Fact.