Stihl 150 cutting out

Acerforestry

3 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

Ok Spud, he has tried to fish the tank filter out to check it but not enough slack there to get it that far?

You need to push it in so it sits at the bottom of the tank where the fuel sits when it is in its side. It is more of an issue on 201s and 200s but worth a check.

The earth point being loose would stop you turning the saw off. I can't see it stopping the machine like you have. 

The top engine mount forms part of the kill circuit. If your machine can't be turned off, it is pretty certain that your top engine mount is loose.

Check the plug cap is on though, Riches one had a dodgy HT lead on it!

• Like 1

Had another thought, I have seen a decent quantity of these with failed engine mounts causing the flywheel to rub on the plastic beneath it.

It is very possible that this would cause the engine to stall on idle when the saw is on its side due to the extra friction  between the flywheel and tank wall beneath it!

Edited by spudulike

56 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Had another thought, I have seen a decent quantity of these with failed engine mounts causing the flywheel to rub on the plastic beneath it.

It is very possible that this would cause the engine to stall on idle when the saw is on its side due to the extra friction  between the flywheel and tank wall beneath it!

I had a customer bring a fairly bad one in. He had replaced about 5 starter pulleys which kept going because of the flywheel rubbing on the casing like you say. I bodged it up as he didnt want to go down the expensive route but it didnt last too long, really needed a new housing and crankcase. He bought a husky t525 in the end.