Chipper Financials - does always hiring one and passing on the cost reduce jobs won?

TimberCutterDartmoor

done a bit of subby work to other firms with the machine

wouldn't hire it out without me supervising though

did a day for a kid in mansfield, caught his groundie twice putting handfuls of hopper waste ( the small stuff that falls forward out of the hopper) through the machine. could here the pebbles rattling round where i was

told him if i caught him again i'd be off the job.

£23k is a lot to trust people with....and if the machine gets f$$ked, its me thats sat doin nowt while its repaired

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:

Having a £23k hunk of metal not earning its keep is not an option. I could hire it out more aggressively but got fed up with hirers abusing it in the past. Ideally I'd have both and it may end up that way. Interestingly barely ever used a tow behind (soldiered on with the tracked machine in the trailer etc). The JoBeau will chip plenty fast enough for me. My old M400 could seriously pull it through when sharp...

it wont be worth £23k now, will it !!!

The other side of the coin is that you don't have service bills, breakdowns, or lack of work to worry about. It worked ok for me for 6 months or so before I bought my own. My only mistake was to buy second hand instead of just getting on with it and buying a new one!

If you have your own and it breaks down you lose money far quicker than you gained it!

A chipper isn't £150 a day - nearer £80 by me.

You overheads will be lower so your day rate (before chipper) should be lower than the competition.

Overall you will be slightly (certainly less than £50) more expensive than the equivalent competition with chipper but you get that sort of variation in quotes anyway.

Either get a chipper on finance and work your backside off to pay for it or put less cash in your pocket, save and buy a cheap one to start off.

The only way you can make a hired chipper pay is on a long term hire and work it hard every day

when i firs started out i used to hire a 6 inch green mech (which was pants) but it got me started and did what i needed but after a while it started breaking down an awfull lot so i went into the hewden hire branch that i had it on hire from and had a chat with the manager and he said he would see what he would do about getting something better seeing as i had it on contant hire , so about a week later i went in to pay my account and the manager told me that they had ordered a brand new Timber Wolf for me to hire but it would cost me another £65 a week = 250 per week inc vat so i agreed to hire it long term , so 7 days later they call me to tell me that the chipper is there and ready to pick up so i poped in on my way home to swap chippers over , but to my supprise i found that it was not the 150 that i was expecting it was the 190 !! so i signed the paper work and off i went . A few weeks later the manager called me to tell me that things may be changing as Speedy Hire had just bought Hewden Hire out and that they may be getting rid of the chipper as they do not hire anything bigger than a 6 inch chippers so i asked him to put a word in for me and to see if they would sell it to me , a few months later after Speedy had bought out Hewdens i got a call asking if i would still like to buy the chipper , i agreed that i did so it was offered to me for £8000 and only just over six months old - an offer i could not turn down so i bought the chipper . I think the hire only worked out for me in the end because i got a vbloody good chipper out of it for next to nothing but had it not been for that then i think i would of had to call it a day in the end . i look back now and ask myself would i spend £50 a day on chippper hire and the answer is not however it dod get me started so i cant complain to be honest

I can hire the following at the following rates:

1) Tunnissen 190 - £80 a day but always blunt, no fuel and covered in crap. Lack of chipping performance from this repeat offender meant I go elsewhere.

2) Timberwolf 150 - £90 a day if returned at end of or £110 for 24hr period but miles away so logistics are costly.

3) Jensen 530 roadtow - £140 + vat per day but always immaculate, newly sharp and the least hassle and nearby.

Hence I end up putting my a530T in the trailer. Then I have to track it off, greedy board the trailer to chip into and then dump the chip before returning for the machine - a pita. But in another instance that machine earnt £12000 in one week simply because it could go where no-one else could...

But for those everyday small jobs a jobeau m400/m500 would be so handy i reckon - this is swb's wee chipper all over again!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I can hire the following at the following rates:

1) Tunnissen 190 - £80 a day but always blunt, no fuel and covered in crap. Lack of chipping performance from this repeat offender meant I go elsewhere.

2) Timberwolf 150 - £90 a day if returned at end of or £110 for 24hr period but miles away so logistics are costly.

3) Jensen 530 roadtow - £140 + vat per day but always immaculate, newly sharp and the least hassle and nearby.

Hence I end up putting my a530T in the trailer. Then I have to track it off, greedy board the trailer to chip into and then dump the chip before returning for the machine - a pita. But in another instance that machine earnt £12000 in one week simply because it could go where no-one else could...

But for those everyday small jobs a jobeau m400/m500 would be so handy i reckon - this is swb's wee chipper all over again!

why dont you buy a tipper then u can chip in to that :confused1: