Defrosting Unimog air tanks?

_tc

Hi all, can anone tell me the best way to de ice the air system on the u900? I know some trucks have an adaptor to inject ethanol into the air system but didt know if the u900 had sucha device and then where do i buy the ethanol from?

Many thanks

Ted.

Yeah the mog loses its air over night anyway but she hasnt been used for 2 weeks and this cold snap has taken its toll. im using a gas torch to warm a few pipes up in the morning.

thanks for the ideas chaps.

Yeah the mog loses its air over night anyway but she hasnt been used for 2 weeks and this cold snap has taken its toll. im using a gas torch to warm a few pipes up in the morning.

its not the air, its the moisture you want out, if you havent been doing this you could be in for a lot of problems with pipes and valves. get on some gloves and a bit of wood and push up the little bleed valves, get all the gunk anf goo out asap, i spent easy 2k on valves and labour last year. It was a carbon build up, and the downtime with breakdowns was very costly indeed:thumbdown:

Losing air over night doesn’t drain the air tanks of condensate!

Excess condensate in the tank reduces air spaces and makes the compressor system run hotter causing more condensate and also pushes condensate threw the rest of the brake system so when parked up in frozen weather you get the problems you are having now.

Condensate should be drained every night after use irrespective of weather and is one of the most basic things that is a drivers responsibility since the advent of air braking systems, if you don’t do it you pays the price ;)

As for the length of time between running a mog etc vs. airbrake freezing it has no bearing.

As for blow torches be careful as they are a bit hot and can heat things up to quick.

im not familiar with the unimog set up but.... id be suprised if there wasnt a provision for adding ethonal into the air system, comma supply it but difficult to get hold of as most commercials use wabco 'air dryer' system. steven, you dont need to be paying lots for replacement valves, i can supply most valves at a fraction of the cost, ill try an get some more details together over he next few days,, cheers