Bee's in Tree's

Angus

glad your ok mate ! could have been alot worse ay ! not sure how ?but it could have been :confused1:

i remember a couple of years ago i was helping a neighbour lift some wood over a wall so me being me wanted to lift the biggest bit and just as i was about to put it over the wall i got stung right on the nipple !:blushing::sneaky2: at witch point i drop the wood straight on my foot and broke 2 toes !! double wammy ! .................. it was not a good day :thumbdown:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear your all right fulla, we called an exterminator in on a job removing a group of toitoi bushes in nz -two days afterwards we went round and set about slicing through the bush, picked up a load and as carrying it to the truck the bush started bitiing. obviously he didn't get them all as we found out:thumbdown:

Lucky neither of us were overly allergic.

Glad to hear your all right fulla, we called an exterminator in on a job removing a group of toitoi bushes in nz -two days afterwards we went round and set about slicing through the bush, picked up a load and as carrying it to the truck the bush started bitiing. obviously he didn't get them all as we found out:thumbdown:

Lucky neither of us were overly allergic.

Yeh i had that happen to me,last cut of the bush and there was bee's.We called the extermintor to get rid of them,luckly i never got sent back to finish it off :thumbup1:

Yeh i had that happen to me,last cut of the bush and there was bee's.We called the extermintor to get rid of them,luckly i never got sent back to finish it off :thumbup1:

The bees dont like the stump grinder too much either -have made a couple of hasty retreats after hearing the roar of upset bees over the sound of the Dosco!:blushing:

That did not sound pleasant Angus. When I worked for a few weeks with Derek Brazel in OZ (Glen Innes area) I learnt alot about bees. He was VERY allergic and we had to plan the route to the nearest hospital for each work site. I also noticed that bees are far more common than here in the UK, where they are seldom an issue on the work site

having had a few run ins with the old bees myself i know what you suffered!

on a personal note i would always try to find a way to retain them, pollard for example, and do the work in the coldest temp during winter when they are slow, if not entirely unactive, this way if the tree must be removed at least there is a chance to save the bees.

as for bumble bees, im pretty sure they are protected?

time for some research!

Thanks all! Sorry about the long delay, I've been away at a bucks weekend over west coast (Victoria).

I don't think we have "bumble bees" here in Australia, and if we did I doubt their protected.

Judging the concern and laws you have about bees, they are perhaps not so prolific as they are here in Australia.

On this particular job there were 3 wild bee hives within a 1/4acre.

With regards to pollarding with the intention of allowing them to relocate (particularly during winter), the success rate of the hive would be almost nil as there are many specific conditions which must be met before bees will successfully swarm and survive.

Because of this I suspect pollarding for us would be a fruitless, cruel and expensive endeavour. Perhaps Bumble Bees are different?

Bee's have been dying mysteriously around the world over the last few years. We have a number of our own hives that have just died for no apparent reason.

Hopefully this summer we'll catch a few more swarms to help replace them.

I know I will definitely be making a habit of having a clear route to egress from the tree in future... no amount of medical kit up the tree would have saved me if I was stuck!

Help with Bumble bees - Wild About Britain

having all my life done whatever i can to preserve and encourage wildlife i havent really paid much atention to "protection" law. Not only that but when you do look into these subjects you often find the law is iether non existent or inadequate, your own experiance is often greater than the guidlines! and in at least one instance IME (stags)the "experts" are not able to tell you what you need to know!

We should all do whatever we can to protect ALL life, with or without guidance from the powers that bee, (pun, sorry!)

The sad truth is, most things are not well documented and or protected and while we dont need more problems, these problems will pale into insignifcance to those faced by a loss of bio diversity.