fungus on pine logs

pinetree paddocks

3 hours ago, pinetree paddocks said:

Hi can anybody help I an drying pine logs in a 40 foot polytunnel open at both ends netting 1 metre high down both sides in I B C crates and some half way down in some crates have a green mould can you advise thanks Ken     

Airflow no high enough so the surface are damp and the logs are warm so the mould spores like the warm humid conditions.

I had some Scots pine like this, the stuff that was unsplit took in a mouldy look down through the timber. It burnt fine though (once dried), seemed more a discoloration rather than decay of the wood structure.

I don't think there is much you can do apart from get it split and dried as quick as possible, once it is dry any decay will stop anyway. Perhaps the ideal is to spread it out more so it gets the sun but that would obviously be a lot of hassle emptying the ibcs.

Can't remember the exact thread but someone on here posted a research paper about commercial forestry use of Scots pine as a crop and the blue mould tendency was one of the major barriers.

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I had some Scots pine like this, the stuff that was unsplit took in a mouldy look down through the timber. It burnt fine though (once dried), seemed more a discoloration rather than decay of the wood structure.

Pine felled at this time of year is renowned for getting blue stain quickly, left a while and the sapwood goes black.

As  you said it is because a lot of sugary sap is moving about.

Back in the day it used to infuriate us that the lightweight concrete block makers would delay collecting pine at roadside because they wanted the sugar to be used up, trouble was the stacks were losing 5% of their weight each week.

Edited by openspaceman

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Pine felled at this time of year is renowned for getting blue stain quickly, left a while and the sapwood goes black.

As  you said it is because a lot of sugary sap is moving about.

Back in the day it used to infuriate us that the lightweight concrete block makers would delay collecting pine at roadside because they wanted the sugar to be used up, trouble was the stacks were losing 5% of their weight each week.

i, i remember that.used to reall piss you off waiting for it to be picked up roadside.