Design student developing new forestry product

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked at Fishing boxes? These have various compartments and a seat and are either made from a solid material or collapsible material. Some have wheels like a pull along trolly or straps to put on your back as well if the wheels don't warrant the terrain. This might be a good basis to work from.

Fishing trollies

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input so far, I can't tell you how essential your comments have been for my research and in developing the product itself! After narrowing the specification of the product in line with the target market, it would be have a rigid plastic body, be carried on backpack straps or pulled on rugged wheels (depending on terrain), used as a seat, have a vise mounting, have lockable latches, have divided compartments including a watertight valuables box; and carry first aid, tongs and tape, waterproofs, tools, spares, lunch and flask, sledgehammer, wedges, and felling lever. It will measure approx. 800x450x350mm. Saw and fuel cans will most likely be carried in the hands due to weight/size and contamination.

Recceboy your comment was particularly great as I began to look at a device to be carried on the back or wheeled depending on terrain. I found scubadiving bags were a good point of reference but fishing trollies were a useful start. So thanks a lot!

Please advise on possible improvements. This product may not suit the tasks that many of the posts have suggested but will cater for small-scale woodland management companies. Suggestions about lightweight bags or ATV mounted boxes are completely valid but unfortunately do not quite cover the features and functionality that has been developed in my specification.

Thanks,

Lewis

Wow that was quick!! I'd have the wheels on the exterior for 2 reasons, a) build up of mud will soon clog them and b) will be slightly more stable when being dragged on uneven ground. But :thumbup1: looks promising

Oh and the vice mount would need to be on the lid, not between the straps, would be a pita to sharpen the saw where you located it.

Edited by Andy Collins

Hard plastic things sometimes have a habit of breaking or getting squashed. Over the years i have used a dustbin, shopping trolly, old ladies type shopping box on wheels, airhostess suitcase and a TD 1 (transportation device) which we made for getting brash through buildings while working in European cities. Admitidley, the first few didn't look too proffesional!

I also used my Mountain bike and an army bergan for a couple of weeks on one job.

Still use the bergan now but something to fit the fuel can and felling levers in would be ace, very cold hands at the moment carrying them in to the woods.:thumbup1:

What's a TD 1 Transportation device?