Design student developing new forestry product

Hello, I am a Product Design student at Nottingham Trent University, and am designing a new product for the forestry market. Please could you give me your experiences of the problem, what methods you use, and comment on my ideas for the product or suggest alternatives.

I have a number of years experience of felling small and medium-sized trees, for the purposes of commercial thinning, woodland management etc. A problem was identified in having to carry felling equipment on foot from the vehicle to the site of work, when the site is some distance from a track. Often several trips are needed, and using a wheelbarrow, crate or bag have their problems. The device could be a wheeled, carried or worn container that holds many if not all of the tools required, such as breaking bar, wedges, sledge hammer, chainsaw, combi can, filing/maintenance tools, spares first aid, lunch, tongs etc. The device can also provide a means of keeping track of tools.

I am also interested in knowing the commercial scale of this product. A group of predominantly American foresters on forestryforum.com favoured a lightweight backpack style design with pockets to carry everything. This would allow them to operate over greater distances, while keeping the backpack on throughout. However is this favourable for most methods of working? I envisaged a rigid plastic container but please tell me otherwise.

I’m open to suggestions about any features that would be essential, eg waterproof insides, lockable, stackable, seat etc

Thank you,

Lewis

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seat is a good idea...but you gotta think carefully about it IME....As a cutter yo'self,you'll appreciate the issues no doubt.

If it aint supportive and yet restful all at the same time...i would forget it...There's always something upon which to lodge for the duration.

back pack with a seat is brill, we had one given to us many moons ago from i think it was forestry magazine, the only prob was it was dark green - and you had to remember where you put it - something hi viz would be a good idea - that could act as a refeullng point\safety area - sometimes hard carrying boxes go brittle in extreme cold weather weve found, possibly something that can be swilled out or act as a bund if containers leak?

when we skyline to send the lad his kit up so hes not always coming back down he hill for butties/flask/fags send all equipment up in a big duffle type rucksack - possibility?

Have a look at the Backpack type device that Weaver produce for Climbers etc, its a corduroy backpack designed to carry Rope, Helmet, Silky saw's, throwline etc. I think that has foldaway handles so you can stash it in the van without snagging on other equiptment..

Hi,

glad you made it over here for forestryforum! :wavey:

i have a folding seat that has lunchbox that is fitted under it, with shoulder straps, it would be handy to have something that the seat made the frame and could have a standard combi can clipped to it either that or a modular system that used something like the system kolpin use on their atv quick racks with a quick twist release,

something semi rigid that could also be clipped onto machinery would be handy eg something that could be clipped to an atv rack, trailer frame, tractor cab and stand some abuse would be ace, as it will have to take some bumping about

anyway just some ramblings

Charlie

backpack with frame, fold out seat. Pouches for wedges, straps to tighten around felling bar/hammer. Pouch big enough to take the big 2ltr Aladdin flask and a lunchbox (large) Maybe additional pouches for mobile phone, gps, spray marker can, measuring tapes. must be waterproof material, and not too collapsible. STRONG stitching/welds as kit is heavy, dont want it splitting and losing all the kit I dont like the idea of carrying a fuel can in the bag, due to contamination of kit and fire risk (if you smoke)

Hard plastic things sometimes have a habit of breaking or getting squashed. Over the years i have used a dustbin, shopping trolly, old ladies type shopping box on wheels, airhostess suitcase and a TD 1 (transportation device) which we made for getting brash through buildings while working in European cities. Admitidley, the first few didn't look too proffesional!

I also used my Mountain bike and an army bergan for a couple of weeks on one job.

Still use the bergan now but something to fit the fuel can and felling levers in would be ace, very cold hands at the moment carrying them in to the woods.:thumbup1: