Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

hardly the same Pete, £700-1000 for a basic chainsaw ticket, 5 bods on a course or more thats the best part of 5k now thats got to be a rip-off in anyones eyes..

No one answered my question as to how much it would cost to train a bod from start to finish ie groundie to climber [including wages] to AA contractor standard, my mate AA contractor did, 15k thats how much! how many contractors can afford that.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you put some one on a course for a week not only do you have to pay for it around £750 for basic 30/31 you have to pay them for the week minimum £250 also your gear must be new or inspected another cost you must supply all the safty gear another cost and transport them if not driving so you could be loosing £1200 for 2 tickets worth nothing.

Then if you work out to train a bod from start to finish i think its more than £15000 average wage to some one is £12000 a year then supplying them protective clothing throughout the year and supplying the chainsaws climbing gear etc and putting them on the courses i bet could set you back £18000 and thats just for the basic courses there are loads of them not just 4.

Now can people see why there are so many socalled unqualified climbers

I think that climbers should be able to train and asses there workers over say a two year period and at the end if they worked hard and well you can issue a basic competence cert. But climbers must have minimum 5 years on the job experiance before being allow to train. That would piss off the nptc they cant mugs us off then. keep it in the arb industry nptc just added arb to make more money

A good way round all this is get yourseves a local authority job, get all your training paid for (NPTC`s, RFS cert, Tech cert etc..), do a bit of extra private work during days off.

Then leave and set up your very own Qualified Company.

Don't be fooled into thinking local authoritys/councils will foot the bill for every course under the sun, I know loads of lad on various council arb teams who want extra training, the council won't pay, although they will let you have the time off to do the course unpaid of course and won't give them a penny towards training.

Don't be fooled into thinking local authoritys/councils will foot the bill for every course under the sun, I know loads of lad on various council arb teams who want extra traing, the council won't pay, although they will let you have the time off to do the course unpaid of course and won't give them a penny towards training.

Obviously totally depends on your LA.

im speaking from personal experience having worked 22 years for an LA, and have been fortunate to have been backed to the hilt by (many) bosses who see or are persuaded of the benefits of good training.

A good way round all this is get yourseves a local authority job, get all your training paid for (NPTC`s, RFS cert, Tech cert etc..), do a bit of extra private work during days off.

Then leave and set up your very own Qualified Company.

That may well have been the case a few years ago, not now!

As Roller says councils are well aware of that trick now, Our Local CC advertised a Arborist position last year these are the certs of competance they wanted

CS 30,31,38,39 ideally 32 &34 as well

Chapter 8 streetworks

HGV C+E+Hiab

Chipper ticket

PA1&PA6 Spraying

First aid

Thats a hell of a lot of training they wanted to fill a post getting on our local council gang now is very hard.