Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In house if fair enough but what about independent contractors:confused:

The priority must be to implament a system that when completed proves that a person is both theoretically and practically competent to do what the cert says he can.

Over the last 18 months I have re-done my certs (20+ years after my original 'training') and to be honest the quality of competence that was achieved by some students put the shits up me:eek:

Finding a solution will not be easy but one thing that I feel strongly about is that nobody should be allowed out of the 'being trained' stage until they are truely competent and can undertake an assesment without just hoping to 'fluke it'

So in that case Pete what is the point of NVQ, City and Guilds etc? HSE told me on more than one occasion 'adequate training' thats all that the law requires.

By law everyone who uses a chainsaw must have received "adequate training", but that training by law must be equivalent to the standards set by the NPTC or other relevant body

For all of us that provide a commercial service on land/trees that are not owned by ourselves or employer, or have to supervise someone in tree related operations needs a certificate of competence, especially if the person we are supervising requires a cert. but doesn't yet have one. I don't see a how we can get around not having to have certs?

As for gaining experience can we not use the Lantra method of ITA for our staff to learn the basic skills on a course? If we as employers hold certs. of competence then we can provide the supervision until they are ready to take their NPTC assessment after their initial training.

Once you hold NPTC certs, I would be happy with an integrated approach of CPD, using refreshers, training etc. As with any standards there is much repetition. If we undertake training either on or off the ground, most of the assessment criteria is much the same. Until you begin cutting operations all the criteria for 38/39/40 & 41 is the same. Do we need so many units? Or by keeping the same format assessment centres can re-stamp all our tickets that have similar assessment criteria in them...if we pass?

There has been an initiative set up by those boys in the pesticide industry known as NRoSO (National Register of Sprayer Operators). It is voluntary at the moment but requires its members to collect CPD in a variety of formats. Each operator must meet the required CPD over 3 years, but the points must come from a range of topics; training, refreshers, MOTs on equipment, show attendance etc. Perhaps in arb something like this could be used to? 2 points for being a member of the AA, 2 points for attending IOG Saltex, 5 points for a LOLER inspection?

darrenm

• 2 weeks later...

I think apprentaships should be avliable in the arb industry but that means us employers needto encourage young lads and lasses into the industry and be prepared for them to move on that said most of there training could be government funded then like most other aprentaships.

One change I really would like to see is as part of CS30 is some chainsaw related first aid training. the amount of lads that just have a 1/2 or 1 day first aid ticket it is scary! I think there should be a few hrs of training in CS30 that would back up any previous training. I've done the 4 day course and the 1 day first aid at work course and to be honest the 1 day doesn't really do office work justice let alone arb!

Im afraid I'm a stickler for it, but then I had just a minor accident and the young lad with me for the day hadn't got a clue what to do!. I saw a firm at APF, think they are called ABC response they taylor courses to outside, forestry/arb use.

The priority must be to implament a system that when completed proves that a person is both theoretically and practically competent to do what the cert says he can.

Over the last 18 months I have re-done my certs (20+ years after my original 'training') and to be honest the quality of competence that was achieved by some students put the shits up me:eek:

I'm so glad you said some of the students had competence, from what I've seen of students, and newly ticketed people, its just plain scary. I had one chap start a saw with the bar cover on, blipped the throttle. He realised the bar cover was on so GRABBED it!! How he never cut himself I'll never know, but it put the wind up me for sure. I dont doubt the COMPETENCE of many students, but I think the CONFIDENCE and ability to adapt to the many different situations that we come across every day, can only be learned in the workplace in an ongoing training schedule.

Ok here's idea, if you want to drive any construction machinery these days you go and pass ya course then they give you a red card of competence, you then have to get 300hrs experiannce and complete an NVQ before the red card is replaced with a blue card which means you are qualified and competant. Can't something like this be brought into the arb industry? Obviously time scales and hrs could be changed.