Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

How would you measure for example 300hrs? 300hrs continuous usage in arb is a long time, in forestry relatively shorter. Typical 8hr day, how long do you spend (on average) using a chainsaw in arb work? In woodland management/forestry the saw is going virtually all day. Good idea tho I feel some companies would "fix" it so cards will be issued quicker so they can get on with the real work.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that dependson how they would run a new system, it may not need to be anywhere near 300hrs. however if we are talking about the training of new recruits to the industry, then why not have an nvq consisting of say cs 30,31,38,39,and chipper use, with the options of adding other units. so when the trainee is on site with their ganger/boss for say 40hrs a week they can break it down into the various units. so its not just 300hrs cutting wood!

As you say it could be fixed quite easily as I'm sure it is in the construction industry, as to the "real Work" all the time the trainee is on site they can be doing real work as they are working with experianced operatives. New digger f

drivers don't just sit digging a big hole in a field untill they have 300hrs! they are out on site earning money for the gaffers!

• 2 months later...

time is not the factor , variety of relevant technical application - is

ie if removing a tree in a enclosed tight garden

do we only think wether a split level or dogs tooth cut does it really bloody matter, if when the tree is dropped it goes through the 12k conservatory . NOT really all, we should think about imo ,or do we stick a pulling rope up there and assist the direction of the fell ,

should we just worry about escape route or maybe look at mioving the chinese vase planters that cost 200 quid each

when sectionally dismantling do we only think outboard cut - hinged limb removal & blast it all down & make an almighty mess on the floor, for the groundies to sort ! or do we think about the job as a team so the climber doesnt get a couple of black eyes !

I cant remember the last time I used a felling lever

pulling ropes, a winch, a 4*4, wedges, 'yes' to all, but a felling bar 'No'

A relevant Practical application of technique , !!!!!! imo

I know i need a few courses, rather than sitting listening to someone teaching me to (for example) felling twice bar size cant they come out, see me on the job and chat with me ask questions (their choice) and watch me fell teh f**ker. Most days i know i could be assessed for most units.

I'm assuming i should also have my skidding and multiple windblow ticket.

Tickets (and method statements) are all well and good until you factor in people. All it takes is one guy who is not so quick witted (but a good worker) who cant see the wood for the trees and bam.

To sumerise. I'd like the option of work place assessment (whole squads if need be) by individual independant assesors.

Teaching people to get a chain razor sharp as well would help.

Jamie

you can book assessment only no need to go on a course

assessment can often be on your own site dependent on assessor and assessment centre

we just put 3 men through 32 40 and 41 assessment only on our site

i do some assessing mostly for people from courses but some for assessment only download schedule from nptc website and if you think you can do it talk to your nearest assessment centres and good luck

you can book assessment only no need to go on a course

assessment can often be on your own site dependent on assessor and assessment centre

we just put 3 men through 32 40 and 41 assessment only on our site

i do some assessing mostly for people from courses but some for assessment only download schedule from nptc website and if you think you can do it talk to your nearest assessment centres and good luck

yep what he said

• 1 month later...
can some one please explain to me why i need to renew my NPTC cert which is 11 years old, but not my driving licence which is 20 years old? I know which is the more dangerous activity.

Spot on! my arb contractor mate worked out the other day how much it would cost [including wages] to train a lad or lass from start to finish ie groundie to climber, anyone want a guess? thats to AA contractors standard

I think there are alot of smart people on here the problem is the certs are now more about making money than proper training.

I want on the job training apprentiships. The main problem with the nptc courses is the price they are just not worth the price considering you have to refresh if the prices were reasonable more people would do them and refresh.

The prices are the nptc's main problem until you stop being greedy people wont use them. 650 for arial rescue what a joke they have to many units you cant keep up you do one they add a new one.

Experiance always comes first how can you be any good if you only used a saw for three days to pass a test lol.

Learn the job on the job then if you wanna stick at it go on a three week course 1 week for chainsaw operations. 1 week for felling and finally 1 week for climbing. You learn by doing

You dont need nptc to get insured and rightly so nptc have a monopoly on arb training why cant mr 50 years on the job teach against mr 2 years college.

Sorry bit of a rant this is my pet hate in tree work.