Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shabz,

NVQs/apprentic i thought might be a suggestion. The HSE consultation on certification in tree work attracetd a comment from a very respected trainer assssor commenting on how the apprec/NVQ route suited the training needs of our industry very well.

IMO NVQs or at least work based learning may well be the way forward - maybe a rename and rebrand is what is needed, NVQs, well at least the title seem to have a real stigma to them.

A reduction in number of units?

Turn the emphasis away from forestry?

YES!

An extremely good suggestion. The biggest problem with a lot of contracts within this industry is the inability to have staff on site who are not ticketed - which means they have to have passed an assesment BEFORE they go on sight to learn.

It also means you might put a lad through his assesments who turns out to be a useless worker - by that time you've spent the money:mad:

It would be a big boost if potential employee's could be assesed for suitability before you spend the money on their training and assesments.

i think work based learning is the way forward but there still needs to be short courses for the likes of farmers and occasional users, maybe trainers could offer an apprenticeship as an alternative for employers who are going to train people from start to finish. this could be cheaper too since it is guarenteed repeat custom for the training provider. it would also be nice not to need to register with nptc 15 times, paying every time.

I seem to recall that in Germany once you have completed the arial training you are required to have 300 supervised hours logged before you can climb solo. It takes about at least three months to acheive this in a work environment, and the time is spent gaining your own experience and absorbing that of others. In Germany the training requirements are stipulated by the commecial insurers and changes are in relation to problems that actually arise as opposed to perpetuating a sort of 'money-go-round', between trainers and the bodies that adminster and run the schemes.

I'm not saying that it is better, but it is different. Maybe a new approach would be good for everyone. There seemsto be widespread dissatisfaction with the way the system works at the moment, and the ongoing expense that it causes.

Boycott nptc I say, I had a lad with only an NVQ that was good enough for my insurers and for 99% of my clients, councils and major developers included!

You boys get hoodwinked into thinking you need NPTC, it's the other way around guys they and Lantra need you!

I don't think that is realistic Lee. Proving that an employee was suitably trained without nationally recognised qualifications would be difficult and very time consuming. Especially if the poo hits the fan.

It gets complex enough recording and unpdating any inhouse training as it is. By all means train them and get them assesed independantly, but taking the moral high ground could be costly IMHO

I don't think that is realistic Lee. Proving that an employee was suitably trained without nationally recognised qualifications would be difficult and very time consuming. Especially if the poo hits the fan.

It gets complex enough recording and unpdating any inhouse training as it is. By all means train them and get them assesed independantly, but taking the moral high ground could be costly IMHO

So in that case Pete what is the point of NVQ, City and Guilds etc? HSE told me on more than one occasion 'adequate training' thats all that the law requires.