My new 6cylinder major

Stihlaround

Hi all, always wanted to restore a tractor, so I bought this, needs alot of work but I'm not afraid to get stuck in, all bodywork completely rotten, and in the process of getting replaced, is there anywhere I can get a longer bonnet without getting the welder out,also my clutch is gone can anyone help me with the type of clutch that's in it, don't have the room to split it and wait a week for a clutch20200408_122858.thumb.jpg.3994815be6e8ec998f6a897966998f09.jpg20200408_122853.thumb.jpg.8a785a091bdd11e77c9fe1193bfcb3eb.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Stihlaround said:

any idea on what clutch is in it

I spent my spare time as a teenager on a farm that ran Fordson Majors. Later in life I had my own Power Major for several years. Yours will be a Diesel Major by the look of it, and these had single stage clutches as opposed to "live drive". The former engages the PTO and wheel drive at the same time, the latter engages PTO drive with the lower half of pedal movement and wheel drive with the upper half of movement. Also I think the single stage clutches were preferred if more powerful engines, like your 6D, were fitted, as the live drive type did not cope as well with the extra torque. Sorry if you knew all this already, and were in fact asking about what manufacturer/what clutch diameter details in fact. I have just looked on the net and you could try this link.

WWW.AGRILINEPRODUCTS.COM

Agriline is a leading supplier of tractor parts & accessories for the Ford & Fordson Major. All Major parts are competitively priced and shipped worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I spent my spare time as a teenager on a farm that ran Fordson Majors. Later in life I had my own Power Major for several years. Yours will be a Diesel Major by the look of it, and these had single stage clutches as opposed to "live drive". The former engages the PTO and wheel drive at the same time, the latter engages PTO drive with the lower half of pedal movement and wheel drive with the upper half of movement. Also I think the single stage clutches were preferred if more powerful engines, like your 6D, were fitted, as the live drive type did not cope as well with the extra torque. Sorry if you knew all this already, and were in fact asking about what manufacturer/what clutch diameter details in fact. I have just looked on the net and you could try this link.

WWW.AGRILINEPRODUCTS.COM

Agriline is a leading supplier of tractor parts & accessories for the Ford & Fordson Major. All Major parts are competitively priced and shipped worldwide.

Thank you very much, that info helped a lot, I didn't know which clutch was in it, would I have to get anything else along with that clutch

I would definitely replace the entire clutch, ie buy the kit to replace all the bits. I can't think of anything else you would need. The clutch has to be replaced with the same type as is in there, as the input shaft to the rear axle is different on single versus live drive types, of course. The farm I spent time on did their own 6 pot conversion on a Major, and called it Frankenstein. They were a bit disappointed by it as they had thought it would help with ploughing and other 3 point mounted field work. The balance was altered with more weight at the front, so traction was not  good and the turning circle was bigger. I imagine it would have been pretty good for drawbar work such as pulling heavy trailers. Sounded ace too!

• Like 1