PI insurance

Paul Barton

I am trying to purchase Professional Indemnity insurance at the moment. The cover would be for two of us - equal shareholders and directors of the company.

We are being told by one insurer that we would still need to purchase employer's liability insurance as well (which doubles the premium!) - is this correct? In our minds we have no employees so this doesn't make sense, but of course if it is a legal requirement for some reason we will buy it all.

Anyone have any experience of this?

If you are running a ltd co you dont necessarily have to be employed by the company. You can take drawings as a director and you can take drawings as a shareholder. If you are not happy with paying for the EL then run the question by the HSE who are the enforcement authority for EL insurance.

Remember that everyone in the insurance industry stands to gain by selling you as much insurance as possible so they may not always be a truthful as you would like.

Hi. Here's a link to the HSE guidance leaflet but I dont think it specifically covers your situation. http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/hse40.pdf

However, I think they are obliged to give you an answer on whether you need it or not. I would write/email them and ask for an answer. If they dont reply then keep a record of the correspondance and dont bother with the insurance- its going to be a pretty good defence for not having it if you can show you had asked for clarification but they didnt give it.

Hi. Here's a link to the HSE guidance leaflet but I dont think it specifically covers your situation. http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/hse40.pdf

However, I think they are obliged to give you an answer on whether you need it or not. I would write/email them and ask for an answer. If they dont reply then keep a record of the correspondance and dont bother with the insurance- its going to be a pretty good defence for not having it if you can show you had asked for clarification but they didnt give it.

that sounds like good advice to me!