Freelance groundsman day rate?

kinojango

In my oppinion, the best groundie is another climber - end of!!!

Sure, but often you need a gorundie who is a climber, and another groundie who is a dragger. Two different jobs, one comes with responsibility the other doesn't.

Different pay for differnet responsibilities. The climber/groundie is fulfulling the rescue position as well that is a big important factor.

The more groundies you need for a job the cheaper each one should be.

That makes sense Rupe, although I did have to read it 3 times. You are my poster of the year by the way for your first post in Tony S's thread 'our industry' I would print it out and put it on my shed wall, except my printers knackered and I don't have a shed.

In my oppinion, the best groundie is another climber - end of!!!

Sure, but often you need a gorundie who is a climber, and another groundie who is a dragger. Two different jobs, one comes with responsibility the other doesn't.

Different pay for differnet responsibilities. The climber/groundie is fulfulling the rescue position as well that is a big important factor.

The more groundies you need for a job the cheaper each one should be.

I do kind of agree mate, but the last job i was on, the climber couldn't even put a decent face cut in a tree, and he got in to big trouble just trying to fell the thing. I do believe its down to the individual.

Kinojango . I sympathise with your position, changing careers at 34. But I guess you have to accept that the building trade is shagged at the moment, so bang goes your 130 quid a day, and our industry just doesn't pay as well.

Oh well, best to be happy in a job then unhappy, cause your a long time working.

• Like 1

Nothing really, but i came from the building trade where i was getting around £130 a day. I've always been into the trees and im just trying to get a living from it, and £80 a day at 34 is not a living, its only just surviving. All i want to do is stay in the game as i REALLY enjoy it and the people who do it are always very friendly and helpful.

£400 a week for being self employed isnt that bad?! as you wont need to lay out alot to start off not much insurance costs etc, claim back all your fuels etc against income claim all your reciepts back against tax,

if your looking at this as a money maker stick with the building trade or look to set yourself up in the longterm as a fully trained up tree surgeon. or get your aerial rescue tickets to get a better rate.

also from your other threads wanting to get into forestry - i think youll find monies even tighter there and harder to earn. imo

£400 a week for being self employed isnt that bad?! as you wont need to lay out alot to start off not much insurance costs etc, claim back all your fuels etc against income claim all your reciepts back against tax,

if your looking at this as a money maker stick with the building trade or look to set yourself up in the longterm as a fully trained up tree surgeon. or get your aerial rescue tickets to get a better rate.

also from your other threads wanting to get into forestry - i think youll find monies even tighter there and harder to earn. imo

I appreciatee that, i was just trying to find out what you could earn if the forestry doesn,t work out. I've done alot of crap hard jobs in my time, and i've got to the point where i'd rather be happy and earn less then more and hate it. As im sure the few days experience with you will show me what its all about, look forward to hearing from you.

Nothing really, but i came from the building trade where i was getting around £130 a day. I've always been into the trees and im just trying to get a living from it, and £80 a day at 34 is not a living, its only just surviving. All i want to do is stay in the game as i REALLY enjoy it and the people who do it are always very friendly and helpful.

My point exactly, even builders labourers were earning more than 80 a day, not sure at the mo what they get with the decline in building. I think you really have to want to do this job, not be in it for the money, cos as you can see from above posts, it just isnt generally there. Best of luck:001_smile:

It seems that from reading everyones posts that there is a demand for freelance groundsman who can climb, effecively carry out aerial rescue, have full ground operations qualifications (e.g. Chipper/Saw/Traffic Management/First Aid/MEWP)

Plus you need a fair bit of experience in differnet work techniques in order to carry out an efficient groundwork system for different employers (who will all require different things)

If you are going to offer aerial rescue, you ought to have your own kit which you feel confident with. Of course with LOLER records.

I am a freelance climber. I aim to be as qualified as possible and able to tick a lot of boxes required for Local Authority/Contract work etc.

I carry my own insurance (for my own jobs but also as piece of mind for myself on other contracts).

In order to attract a higher wage, you should try and offer something different than the other groundsmen out there. Some of whom will attract the higher wage with experience alone.

The more you spend on kit, means that you have a higher maintenance overhead for running your freelance business.

Thats why I suggested a committed full time employer where you can gain day to day experience and training.