fancy advanced climbing

josharb87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

matt i dont think that you will find footlocking to be more ergonomic than srt. that just doesnt stand i see what you mean with the whole heap of gear but it is neccesary in some cases, where i am we only use srt and footlock isnt a option ive never seen any of the lads footlock. i know some guys in oz that have had operations on elbows thanks to footlocking and not tail locking or using a pantin. they still climb now but will not footlock even if it is a 30m ascent they only srt due to the less stress on the body.

not having a dig just stating a few facts, i think it is good when we can learn from others and in this case i will never be footlocking unless in a rescue if i have to and in a comp.

matt i dont think that you will find footlocking to be more ergonomic than srt. that just doesnt stand i see what you mean with the whole heap of gear but it is neccesary in some cases, where i am we only use srt and footlock isnt a option ive never seen any of the lads footlock. i know some guys in oz that have had operations on elbows thanks to footlocking and not tail locking or using a pantin. they still climb now but will not footlock even if it is a 30m ascent they only srt due to the less stress on the body.

not having a dig just stating a few facts, i think it is good when we can learn from others and in this case i will never be footlocking unless in a rescue if i have to and in a comp.

Thanks for the reply Jarnii, In my comment I was stating that I think footlocking a tail Is a bit more ergonomic than using a pantin, in the sense that it spreads the fatigue evenly between your thighs and lower-back.

I agree completely that SRT is the future for reducing strain on your body. Footlocking is a tried and tested technique, that produces a streamlined, fluid ascent, that, we all know. But when it comes down to it we should all at least have a gander at what SRT can offer. Sorry if I confused you, I was only referring to Ddrt.:thumbup1:

Footlocking is worth knowing, like all things there is a bad way to footlock and a good way, good technique will reduce stress on knees, back and arms. I still footlock now and again but SRT most trees using rads 90% of the time, tree walker on the rare long free hanging ascents.

nah i'll just make sure he gets drunk like the rest of us the night before

but if you feel the need to kick him in the spuds by all means i wont stop you :biggrin: rich too if youre feeling brave :lol:

Lovely I'll make one of those torture things out of rope like the one on James bond when he is getting tortured in the chair. :crying::evil:

Do you use Rads for the ascent? Or to work from on the way up? Or all day long?

For the ascent and to work off on my way up, once at the top i,ll switch to a normal system, occasionally if its major deadwood or partial crown lift something simple i can do the whole job off the Rads.

The rope walker its much quicker and effcient, yet works best when hanging clear of obstructions so you can shoot up, big trees like this do not come up often.

The Rads works best if you can touch the stem or other branches to ease your way up, with srt its nice to not have to isolate a limb, using a single line you have more throw line placing options. The rope can be left in place for rescue or second climber, other than that its much like climbing on a D,dRT system with say a pantin really.

Rads with a footloop!

Edited by Marc

Thanks for the reply Jarnii, In my comment I was stating that I think footlocking a tail Is a bit more ergonomic than using a pantin, in the sense that it spreads the fatigue evenly between your thighs and lower-back.

I dont agree with you there, buy a right and a left and use them alternate days, and learn to use them properly. Much better than footlocking.

Since I've just got some meindle boots, I'm determined to footlock the tail for a bit to get the skills back. My last boots were hopeless for this so I used a pantin a lot. I will still use a pantin when wearing spikes and maybe go back to it once if feel I've mastered the footlocking again (not mastered as such but you know what I mean)