• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure i get it tbh marc:confused1:

hows a cinch help you?

is the prussic load bearing?

my lanyard is approx 3-4m long 13mm, and a distel for the hitch

A cinch just works better on a single line (srt) as hitches do not perform well when taking 100% of the load hence that fig 8/revolver trick.

Yes the prussik is load bearing its only used to adjust round the limb you want to anchor to, to save side loading the karabiner say if just just choked it to the stem without the mini prussik.

I then attach the cinch to my bridge and use the whole length of my line as a second single leg/line tie in point using the cinch as the adjuster. It just means you get to use more of the line.

For example you lanyard is 3-4m your only ever getting a max of 2m useable line when connected to your side D,s, with the set-up i,m using i get 8m 4 times as much.

Most of the time the tail stays tucked away in my hip bag and i rarely use it but when i do,,, it can make life so much easier.

I think the pantin is a very well thought out piece of kit, Fantastic for long ascents as you have already said, I also find it handy when youve dropped through a fork and have to ascend back through, although I normally use a redirect or do a rope switch after Im done on the limb.

I do love footlocking though, as marc says its much more ergonomic. Its also free and involves no kit, and when you have a practised enough its faster, although more fatigue is put upon the body.

Gerry B's ropewalker techinique looks dandy though. Havent had a chance to have a crack at it yet but does look the nuts. Although it does use a fair bit of kit that looks as if it would really get in the way, But im sure you get around that by just sending it all down your line when your in the canopy.

josh, try as many diferent ways as possible mate, then when you need them they are there, its up to you to decide which suits each job best, and only practice and experience can make that happen. I would never have the patience to try these diferent ways before but they certainly help mate, no point srt'ing a 30 foot cony and there is no point prusiking 50 feet up a big beech. I had a go at srt with john at the show, once you get your head round it, and it was amazing just walking up the rope, hard to get it right at first but certainly took the grunt of it